Chapter 8 of CBSE Class 8 Civics deals with how groups and individuals challenge existing inequalities. Adivasis, Dalits, Muslims, women and other marginal groups argue that by merely being citizens of a democratic country, they possess equal rights that must be respected. Many among them look up to the Constitution to address their concerns. In this Chapter, students get to see why the Constitution of India is something that marginalised groups invoke in the course of their struggles. As part of this, they also explore how rights are translated into laws to protect groups from continued exploitation. Meanwhile, the Chapter deals with the government’s efforts to formulate policies to promote the access of these groups to development. CBSE Class 8 Civics Chapter 8 Confronting Marginalisation Important Questions covering the critical concepts of this Chapter also help students to score good marks in the exam.
Some of these questions could be repeated in the question paper and revising the subject also becomes easy. Click on the link provided to access the PDF version of the CBSE Class 8 Important Questions of Civics Chapter 8.
1. What does Article 17 of the Constitution state?
2. Define the term “Dalit.”
3. What is Article 15 of the Constitution?
4. How does the reservation policy work?
5. State one reason why you think reservations play an important role in providing social justice to Dalits and Adivasis?
6. Scholarships for students. What is this scheme about? How do you think it will help promote social justice?
7. In your opinion does the force put on Rathnam to perform this ritual violate his Fundamental Rights?
8. Why do you think the Dalit families were afraid of angering the powerful castes?
9. Elaborate on The Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
10. Can you list two different provisions in the 1989 Act?
11. Write in your own words what you understand by the term ‘morally reprehensible’.
12. What is Manual Scavenging? What are the working conditions of the manual scavengers? Explain.
13. List two Fundamental Rights provided that manual scavenging violates.
14. Why did the Safai Karamchari Andolan file a PIL in 2003? What did they complain about in their petition?
15. Describe the Adivasi Demands and the 1989 Act.
16. List two Fundamental Rights in the Constitution that Dalits can draw upon to insist that they are treated with dignity and as equals.
17. Explain terms such as (a)Ostracise and (b)Dispossessed.
18. Define Policy.
19. How does Kabir explain in his poetry what untouchability means?
20. Write about Reservation Policy.
21. What among the following is an act of manual scavenging?
(a) Cleaning of cities
(b) Carrying Human excreta on heads
(c) Both a and b
(d) None of these
22. Write a note about the English Education Act.
23. Which caste do the Bhakti poet Chokhamela belong to?