Meaning of Environment:
The environment can be defined as a sum total of all the living and non-living elements and their effects which influence human life. While all living or biotic elements are animals, plants, forests, fisheries, and birds, etc. The non-living or abiotic elements include water, land, sunlight, rocks, and air, etc.
Functions of Environment
(1) Supply of Resources
- The environment offers resources for production.
- It includes both renewable and non-renewable resources.
- Example: Wood for furniture, soil, land, etc.
(2) Sustains Life
- The environment includes the sun, soil, water, air which are essential for human life.
- It sustains life by providing genetic and biodiversity.
(3) Assimilation of Waste
- Production and consumption activities generate waste.
- This occurs mostly in the form of garbage.
- The environment helps in getting rid of the garbage.
(4) Enhances Quality of Life
- Environment enhances the quality of life.
- Man enjoys natural beauty like rivers, mountains, deserts, etc.
- These add to the quality of life.
|You Might Also Like To Read:|
What are the Types of Resources?
Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources
(1) Renewable Resources
- Renewable resources are those resources which can never be exhausted or depleted with their continuous use.
- There remains a continuous supply of renewable resources.
- Example: Water, Trees, etc.
(2) Non-renewable Resources
- Non-renewable resources are those resources which get exhausted with their extraction and use.
- Example: Coal, Petroleum, Iron ore, etc.
Do you know: The state of health infrastructure in India
|Q.1- Differentiate the following into renewable and non-renewable resources:
(I) Trees (Ii) Fish (Iii) Petroleum (Iv) Coal (V) Iron-ore (Vi) Water. (NCERT)
|(I) Trees||Renewable resource|
|(II) Fish||Renewable resource|
|(III) Petroleum||Non-Renewable resource|
|(IV) Coal||Non-Renewable resource|
|(V) Iron-ore||Non-Renewable resource|
|(VI) Water||Renewable resource|
|Q.2- What does the environment include?|
|ANS: It includes all those living and non-living elements which affects the quality of life.|
|Q.3- Give the meaning of renewable resources?|
|ANS: Renewable resources are those resources which can never be exhausted or depleted with their continuous use.|
|Q.4- Give the meaning of non-renewable resources?|
|ANS: Non-renewable resources are those resources which get exhausted with their extraction and use.|
|Multiple Choice Question:|
|Q.1 What are the functions of the environment?|
|a. Supply of resources
b. Sustains life
c. Assimilation of wasted
d. All of the above
|Q.NO||Fill in the blanks|
|______________may be defined as all those conditions and their effects which influence human life.
|2||_____________resources are those resources which get exhausted with extraction and use.
For more data on Economics Class 11 Syllabus, Commerce notifications and sample papers for class 11 Commerce, stay tuned to BYJU’S.