On April 13, 2021, the Union Commerce and Industry Mistri Shri Piyush Goyal inaugurated e-SANTA, an electronic marketplace providing a platform to connect aqua farmers and buyers. It will enable the farmers to get a better price and the exporters to directly purchase quality products from the farmers enhancing traceability, a key factor in international trade.
Given below are few key points regarding e-SANTA:
|Full-Form of e-SANTA||Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA farmers’ Trade in Aquaculture|
|Nodal Ministry||Ministry of Commerce & Industry|
This is an important topic from the IAS Exam perspective and UPSC aspirants can check this space to know the objectives, significance and important aspects of e-SANTA.
Candidates can also get a comprehensive List of Government Schemes in India at the linked article.
|Preparing for the upcoming IAS Exam? Test how prepared you are with the UPSC Previous Year Question Papers! Also, refer to the links below:|
- This is an initiative by the National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA), which is an extension arm of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), Ministry of Commerce & Industry Govt. of India
- It is an electronic portal that will act as a platform for connecting aquafarmers and the buyers
- The term e-SANTA was coined for the web portal, meaning Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA farmers’ Trade in Aquaculture
- e-SANTA is expected to raise income, lifestyle, self-reliance, quality levels, traceability, and provide new options for the Indian aqua farmers
- It is a completely paperless and end-to-end electronic trade platform between Farmers and exporters
- The platform provides a detailed specification of each product listing and it is backed by an end to end electronic payment system with NaCSA as an ESCROW agent
- Through the portal, the farmers will have the freedom to list their products and quote their prices while the exporters will have the freedom to list their requirements and also to choose the products based on their requirements such as desired size, location, harvest dates etc.
Read in detail about Blue Revolution, launched in India during 1985-1990 at the linked article. It is an initiative taken by the government for the growth of the aquaculture industry in India.
The objectives of NaCSA are to encourage and uplift the small and marginal farmers through the organisation of clusters and maintaining Best Management Practices in shrimp culture.
NaCSA has registered 752 societies in nine coastal states of India comprising 18211 farmers and a total culture area of 16632 hectares. NaCSA has 620 active societies as of now and production from these societies was 40,000 tons- 50,000 tons on an average/year.
Objectives of e-SANTA
The portal has been introduced in line with the Indian Prime Minister’s Atmanirbhar Bharat Campaign to make the country and its citizens self-dependent.
Through this platform, the Ministry aims at raising and improving the lives and income of farmers by:
- Reducing Risk
- Awareness of Products & Markets
- Increase in Income
- Shielding Against Wrong Practice
- Ease of Processes
Significance of e-SANTA
It is a Digital Bridge to end the market divide and will act as an alternative marketing tool between farmers & buyers by eliminating middlemen. It will revolutionize traditional aquafarming by providing cashless, contactless and paperless electronic trade platform between farmers and exporters.
This platform will also act as a display of products and organisations selling and buying aqua farmed products which can be beneficial for both National and International purposes.
Who all can register under e-SANTA?
Any Farmer or Exporter who is already registered with Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) can register under e-SANTA.
Visit the linked article and get the List of Agricultural Revolutions in India and prepare for the upcoming competitive examinations.
To know the detailed UPSC Syllabus for the prelims and mains examination, candidates can visit the linked page.
For the latest exam updates and study material for exam preparation, visit BYJU’S.