National Livestock Mission (NLM) was launched in the financial year 2014-15. It seeks to ensure quantitative and qualitative improvement in livestock production systems and capacity building of all stakeholders. This article briefly shares the important mission objectives of the National Livestock Mission.
Aspirants would find this article very helpful while preparing for the IAS Exam.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To know about the IAS Exam and to complement your preparation, check the following links:
Quick Facts about National Livestock Mission for UPSC
For UPSC 2021, candidates must revise the following relevant facts about National Livestock Mission:
- The mission encompasses all the Indian states.
- There are four sub-missions under National Livestock Mission:
- Sub-Mission on Fodder and Feed Development
- Sub-Mission on Livestock Development
- Sub-Mission on Pig Development in North-Eastern Region
- Sub-Mission on Skill Development, Technology Transfer and Extension
- It is a centrally-sponsored scheme and is run as a sub-scheme under ‘White Revolution.’
- It started operating in 2014.
- The mission ensures quantitative and qualitative improvement in livestock production systems, especially in Sheep, Goat, Pig, Poultry, Feed and Fodder sector.
Learn about Government Schemes and Missions in the linked article.
National Livestock Mission – Mission Objectives
- Sustainable growth and development of the livestock sector, including poultry
- The increasing availability of fodder and feed substantially reduce the demand-supply gap through measures that include more area coverage under quality fodder seeds, technology promotion, extension, post-harvest management and processing in consonance with the diverse agro-climatic condition.
- Accelerating production of quality fodder and fodder seeds through effective seed production chain (Nucleus – Breeder –Foundation – Certified-Truthfully labelled, etc.) with the active involvement of farmers and in collaboration with the dairy/farmers cooperatives, seed corporations, and private sector enterprises.
- Establishing convergence and synergy among ongoing Plan programmes and stakeholders for sustainable livestock development.
- Promoting applied research in prioritized areas of concern in animal nutrition and livestock production.
- Capacity building of state functionaries and livestock owners through strengthened extension machinery to provide quality extension service to farmers.
- Promoting skill-based training and dissemination of technologies for reducing the cost of production, and improving the production of the livestock sector
- Promoting initiatives for conservation and genetic up-gradation of indigenous breeds of livestock (except bovines which are being covered under another scheme of the Ministry) in collaboration with farmers/farmers’ groups/cooperatives, etc.
- Encouraging the formation of groups of farmers and cooperatives/producers’ companies of small and marginal farmers/livestock owners.
- Promoting innovative pilot projects and mainstreaming of successful pilots relating to the livestock sector.
- Providing infrastructure and linkage for marketing, processing and value addition, as forwarding linkage for the farmer’s enterprises.
- Promoting risk management measures including livestock insurance for farmers.
- Promoting activities to control and prevent animal diseases, environmental pollution, promoting efforts towards food safety and quality, and supply of quality hides and skins through the timely recovery of carcasses.
- Encouraging community participation in sustainable practices related to animal husbandry, involvement of the community in breed conservation and creation of resource map for the states.
Source – National Livestock Mission Official Website – http://dahd.nic.in/about-us/divisions/national-livestock-mission/
National Livestock Mission:- Download PDF Here
FAQ about National Livestock Mission
When was national livestock mission launched?
What are the objectives of national livestock mission?