The Niryat Bandhu Scheme was announced on October 13, 2011 as part of the Foreign Trade Policy 2009-14. It is implemented by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), which is under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. It was also given further thrust in the Foreign Trade Policy 2015-20.
Reading about the Niryat Bandhu scheme becomes important as recently India achieved its ambitious target of crossing 400 Billion US Dollars exports. The scheme is one of the cogs in the wheel that helped this export expansion from the supply side. It will be useful to have a basic understanding of this scheme for the upcoming UPSC prelims.
|Looking for study material to prepare for the upcoming Civil Services Exam?
Refer to the links below and complement your UPSC exam preparation:
Aim of the Niryat Bandhu Scheme
The main aims of the Niryat Bandhu Scheme implemented by the DGFT are:
- To “mentor new and potential exporters on the intricacies of foreign trade through counselling, training, and outreach programmes” so that they can get into international trade.
- To boost exports from India.
Facts About the Niryat Bandhu Scheme
Some important facts related to the Niryat Bandhu Scheme are given below:
- Under this scheme, the officer (Niryat Bandhu) would function in the mentoring arena.
- This initiative would be a ‘hand-holding’ experiment for the youngsters in international business enterprises. Moreover, officers of DGFT will invest time and knowledge to mentor interested individuals.
- Exporters from Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) are also guided under the scheme.
- During the financial year 2014-15, orientation sessions on export-import business were conducted for more than 18,000 people.
- As part of Foreign Trade Policy 2015-20, the Department of Commerce decided to give a major thrust to the scheme and reposition it to attain the goals of “Skill India”.
What is Niryat Bandhu @ Your Desktop?
Niryat Bandhu @ Your Desktop is part of the Niryat Bandhu Scheme. It is an online certificate programme for export-import business, which was announced in September 2015 by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has launched this certificate programme in association with the Indian Institute for Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi.
The aim of Niryat Bandhu @ Your Desktop is to empower and encourage entrepreneurs and exporters. The programme will be conducted by reputed faculty who have expertise in the area of international trade and are well versed with the export-import procedures, regulations, documentation, customs and excise interface, financial schemes, currency management, risk management etc.
A portal named niryatbandhu.iift.ac.in has also been established for the online certificate programme. The website provides information about various courses and other latest updates. Entrepreneurs and individuals who are interested in learning the basics of export-import business can enrol for the programme.