This article has a brief summary of ‘Seismology’. Aspirants can find notes on Indian Geography at the linked article.
What is Seismology?
- Seismology is the study of earthquakes
How is it measured ?
- They are recorded through an instrument called Seismograph
What is an Earthquake ?
- Earthquake is caused due to the sudden release of the enormous amount of energy accumulated within the Earth.
- It results in the outflow of energy in the form of Seismic waves.
Types of Seismic Waves ?
They reach the Earth’s surface first.
- Also known as Primary Wave/ Compressional wave.
- It is a type of body wave.
- It can move through both the states, i.e solids and liquids.
- Also known as secondary waves.
- They can move only through solids.
- They arrive after the body waves
- They are the most destructive
- It is a kind of Surface wave.
- It’s the fastest surface wave.
- The direction of it’s movement is from side-to-side.
- It moves in both side-to-side as well as up and down direction.
|UPSC Prelims Syllabus||UPSC 2022|
|NCERT Notes For UPSC||CSAT|
|Topic-Wise GS 2 Questions for UPSC Mains||Topic-Wise GS 3 Questions for UPSC Mains|
|Topic-Wise GS 4 Questions for UPSC Mains||Daily News Analysis|