Table of Contents:
A. GS1 Related:
B. GS2 Related:
D. GS4 Related
Useful News Articles
A. GS1 Related
B. GS2 Related
1. Hit-and-run: Minor to be tried as adult
Topic: juvenile justice board
Category: governance, dispute resolution mechanism
Location: The Hindu
- Invoking the new juvenile law for the first time in the country, the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) ruled that a minor accused of killing a man in a hit-and-run incident will be tried as an adult.
- The Board transferred the case of the juvenile, to Sessions Court for trial who allegedly caused the death of a 33-year-old business consultant while driving a Mercedes car.
- Under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015, a minor who is above 16 years of age and is accused of committing a ‘heinous crime’, defined as an offence that attracts a jail term of seven years or more, may be tried as an adult, if the juvenile justice board allows it after making a preliminary assessment
- Special Public Prosecutor argued that the juvenile should be tried as an adult in this case as the offence came under the definition of ‘heinous offence’. The juvenile has been charged under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code
2. India’s ties with Afghanistan timeless: Prime Minister
Topic: India’s Neighbourhood
Location: The Hindu
- India will continue to extend cooperation in war-torn Afghanistan, said P.M after inaugurating the Rs. 1,700-crore Afghan-India Friendship Dam along with President Ashraf Ghani, in the strategically vital province Herat
- Modi said other countries may have a “sunset clause” but India’s ties with Afghanistan remain “timeless.” “Our resources may be modest, but our will is boundless. We face barriers of geography and politics, but we define our path from the clarity of our purpose Resolving to stand by Afghanistan,
- Modi hailed the people of Afghanistan for denouncing terrorism and divisions among them “It was a war not of Afghan making, but it was one that stole the future of an entire generation of Afghans,” he said, adding the Afghan people are today sending a message that the forces of “destruction and death, denial and domination” shall not prevail.
C. GS3 Related
1. India Post to boost financial inclusion
Topic: Economy and development
Category: Financial inclusion
- The government’s objective of achieving 100 percent financial inclusion got shot in the arm with the India Post getting the nod forstarting payments bank as lenders brace for competition from what would be thesingle largest bank in termsof accessibility.
- The main challenge banks today face in financial inclusion is the lack of last mile connectivity.” With the government’s focus on financial inclusion, it is quite logical to convert India Post to a bank given its strong network pan-India (especially in the rural areas) and the huge franchise built over the years,
- The business correspondents model has not worked well and banks simply do not have the kind of presence required to target the vast unbanked population in the rural areas and even urban poor. However, India Post with its vast network of more than 1.5 lakh oices, 90 percent of which are in rural areas, can aid in financial inclusion. This should be compared with about 1.05 lakh branches of all the banks in the country. Further India
- Post is a significant player in the domestic remittance business with experience in managing small savings deposits. In this context, it does seem a good fit for transformation into a payments bank.
2. Mylan, Biocon report efficacy of cancer drug
Topic: science and technology
Category: recent developments in the field of technology
Location: The Hindu
- Global pharma major MylanInc., and Biocon have confirmed the efficacy and safety of MYL-1401O, a proposed drug co-developed by the firms, in comparison to Roche’s branded Herceptin used for treatment of cancer. The companies will present data from a clinical study during the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting being held in Chicago
- one of the first companies in the industry to successfully complete a confirmatory efficacy and safety study comparing a proposed bio similar to a branded cancer drug unmet need for more affordable versions of biologic products to cancer patients around the world
- In April this year, the Delhi High Court had prevented Biocon from calling its breast cancer medicine trastuzumab as a biosimilar of Roche’s Herceptin but was allowed to market and advertise their products under the name CANMAb or Bmab-200 or Hertraz.
D. GS4 Related
E. Important Editorials: A Quick Glance
a) Suresh Prabhu launches Tiger Express train on the World Environment Day
- In terms of Budget Announcement 2016-17, Minister of Railways Shri Suresh PrabhakarPrabhu today flagged off the inaugural run of the Tiger Trail Circuit.The launch of this Tiger Express on World Environment Day is to highlight the significance of environment in our lives. The Railway Minister took personal interest in conceptualizing this train. This tourist train will be operated by Indian Railway PSU namely Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).
- The train with 5 days/6 nights itinerary will start from Delhi Sufdarjung railway station and travel via Katani, Jabalpur, Bandhavgadh, Kanha. The semi-luxury train will take the guests onboard to the world famous Bandhavgarh and Kanha National Parks in Madhya Pradesh. In addition the trip will also take tourists to Dhuadhar Waterfall in Bedhaghat near Jabalpur.
- on assuming charge took the initiative of creating a separate, dedicated Environment Directorate in the Ministry of Railways. He said that the Railway Ministry is taking several measures with view to be more environmental friendly. Referring to the Tiger Express which was launched today Shri Suresh Prabhu said that tiger is at the apex of the food chain which has tremendous ecological impact and hence it is befitting to launch a train focused on this subject. Shri Suresh Prabhu announced that Indian Railways through its PSU IRCTC will launch more tourist circuit trains like elephant circuit, desert circuit etc.
It is the Highest Civilian honor bestowed by Afghan government to Afghan national as well as foreigners in appreciation of their services. The citation on the reverse of the medal reads: “nishan-e dawlati Ghazi Amir Amanullah Khan”, or “State Order of Ghazi Amir Amanullah Khan.”
F. Concepts-in-News: Related Concepts to Revise/Learn:
G. Fun with Practice Questions 🙂
“Proper Current Affairs preparation is the key to success in the UPSC- Civil Services Examination. We have now launched a comprehensive ‘Online Current Affairs Crash Course’.
Limited seats available. Click here to Know More.”
You can check out some more recent News Analysis sections to build even more context
Practice More: Enroll for India’s Largest All-India Test Series