UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam is of Optional Subject and consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. GUJARATI PAPER-I (Answers must be written in Gujarati) Section-A Gujarati Language : Form and history
- History of Gujarati Language with special reference to New Indo-Aryan i.e. last one thousand years.
- Significant features of the Gujarati language: Phonology, morphology and syntax.
- Major dialects: Surti, Pattani, charotari and Saurashtri.
History of Gujarati Literature Medieval :
- Jaina tradition
- Bhakti tradition: Sagun and Nirgun (Jnanmargi)
- Non-sectarian tradition (Laukik parampara)
- Sudharak yug
- Pandit yug
- Gandhi yug
- Anu-Gandhi yug
- Adhunik yug
Section-B Literary Forms : (Salient features, history and development of the following literary forms): (a) Medieval
- Narratives: Rasa, Akhyan and Padyavarta
- Lyrical: Pada
- Fiction: Novel and short story
- Literary Essay
- Lyrical Poetry
- History of theoretical Gujarati criticism
- Recent research in folk tradition.
PAPER-II (Answers must be written in Gujarati) The paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the critical ability of the candidate. Section-A
(i) Vasantvilas phagu-AJNATKRUT (ii) Kadambari-BHALAN (iii) Sudamacharitra-PREMANAND (iv) Chandrachandravatini varta-SHAMAL (v) Akhegeeta-AKHO
- Sudharakyug & Pandityug
(vi) Mari Hakikat-NARMADASHANKAR DAVE (vii) Farbasveerah- DALPATRAM (viii)Saraswatichandra-Part-I GOVARDHANRAM TRIPATHI (ix) Purvalap- ‘KANT’ (MANISHANKAR RATNAJI BHATT) (x) Raino Parvat-RAMANBHAI NEELKANTH Section-B
- Gandhiyug & Anu Gandhiyug
(i) Hind Swaraj-MOHANDAS KARMACHAND GANDHI (ii) Patanni Prabhuta- KANHAIYALAL MUNSHI (iii) Kavyani Shakti- RAMNARAYAN VISH-WANATH PATHAK (iv) Saurashtrani Rasdhar Part 1- ZAVERCHAND MEGHANI (v) Manvini Bhavai-PANNALAL PATEL (vi) Dhvani-RAJENDRA SHAH
- Adhunik yug
(vii) Saptapadi-UMASHANKAR JOSHI (viii)Janantike- SURESH JOSHI (ix) Ashwatthama- SITANSHU YASHASCHANDRA