How to read Yojana for UPSC?
UPSC aspirants must go through certain magazines to prepare well. Yojana is considered to be the best magazine for IAS exam preparation. You should avoid reading other magazines as reading them can cause loss of both time and efforts.
Why is Yojana the best magazine for UPSC preparation:
- Yojana magazine is published by the Government of India. It gives out data, facts etc. which are acceptable by the government.
- It does not have a biased opinion. You can find both pros and cons listen for any particular issue.
- The magazine has been recommended by many toppers in the last few years.
- The magazine is affordable. It costs about Rs.22 per magazine.
- It covers a wide range of important topics like inclusive governance, international relations, federalism, budget etc.
Many students have doubts like How to read the Yojana? How much time to spend on reading it? How important is it to read Yojana? Let’s take a look at the things you should keep in mind while reading Yojana:
- Read previous year’s Yojana: If you are appearing for the mains in 2016, you should read the yojana magazines for 2015. Make a list of topics for the 12 Yojana magazines.
- Understand its relevance for the exam: Yojana is useful for Mains and interview preparation only. Refer Yojana for GS Paper2, GS Paper3 & Essay Paper.
- Don’t substitute it for basic concepts: Even though Yojana is one of the best magazines for UPSC Preparation, you will only benefit from it if you already have your basic concepts clear. So read the Yojana only after you have finished reading the NCERTs and basic study material.
- Read the Chief Editor’s desk as it has some important points.
- Every yojana has a few developmental initiatives by the government which are explained in brief. Attention should be paid to those.
- In the contents page, mark the topics that you have already read and understand their relevance from the exam point of view.
- In every article that you read, you should look for the subheadings. Under every subheading there is core idea which you should make a note of.
- The objective of reading Yojana is to gather more and relevant knowledge on the topics we have already read in the newspapers/text books.
- Refer the GS Mains papers and the Essay papers of previous years’ while reading Yojana to understand how questions have been asked in the Mains.
- The maximum time you should devote to any issue is 8 hours.
What should you ignore in The Yojana?
- Case Studies
- Opinions of a Minister
- Examples of pilot projects
|Gist of Yojana for UPSC Exam|
|Gist of Economic and Political Weekly for UPSC Exam|
|Gist of Kurukshetra for UPSC Exam|