The IRPS is the youngest Civil Service in India. It was established in 1976 and the first batch of officers recruited through the UPSC Civil Service Exam was in 1980.
To know more about UPSC Civil Service Examination, visit the link IAS exam.
Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS) – Functions
The IRPS is the only service amongst the Group ‘A’ services to cater to the human resources and personnel management in a department of the Central Government. The functions of the IRPS officers are given below:
- Personnel Management: manpower planning, recruitment, training, seniority, promotions, transfer, posting, reservation, payments, wages, salary and final settlement.
- Industrial Relations: maintaining cordial industrial relations, workers’ participation in management, welfare activities and grievance redressal.
- Legal and court matters: legal work, implementation of labour laws and hours of employment regulation.
Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS) – Grade & Payscale
IRPS cadre was formed with the aim of managing a million workforce of Indian Railways. This cadre offers good opportunities for its officers to rise up the ladder.
Below table gives complete details on IRPS grades and respective pay scales
|Grade||Railway Staff College||Division||Zonal/
Production Unit HQ
|Railway Board||GOI under Central Staffing Scheme||Pay Scale|
|JTS||IRPS(Probationer)/ APO/ Asst. Professor||Assistant
Grade Pay Rs.5400
|STS||Professor||Divisional Personnel Officer||Senior Personnel Officer||Workshop Personnel Officer/ Senior Personnel Officer||Under Secretary||Under Secretary||Rs.15,600-39,100
Grade Pay Rs.6600
|JAG||Professor||Senior Divisional Personnel Officer||Deputy Chief Personnel Officer||Deputy Chief Personnel Officer||Deputy Secretary||Deputy Secretary||Rs.15,600-39,100
Grade Pay Rs.7600
|SG||Professor||Senior Divisional Personnel Officer||Deputy Chief Personnel Officer||Deputy Chief Personnel Officer||Director||Director||Rs.37,400-67,000
Grade Pay Rs.8700
|SAG||Senior Professor||——||Chief Personnel Officer||Chief Personnel Officer||Executive Director||Joint Secretary||Rs.37,400-67,000
Grade Pay Rs.10,000
|HAG||——||——||Chief Personnel Officer||Chief Personnel Officer||Adviser||Additional Secretary||67000-3%-79000|
To know more about other Civil Services, visit the link UPSC Posts
Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS) – Training of Probationary Officers
The IRPS probationers undergo training for 93 weeks. This includes a Foundation Course for 15 weeks at the LBSNAA, Mussoorie. After this, they are trained at various other institutes like the National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR), Vadodara, National Academy for Direct Taxes (NADT), Nagpur, etc. The officers have also imparted field training on zonal railways, construction, divisions, organizations and manufacturing units of the Indian Railways.
Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS) – Career Prospects
After the training period of Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS) cadre, officers will gain the opportunity to climb the ladder in the below-given professional growth trajectory.
1. Railway Division
- Assistant Personnel Officer
- Divisional Personnel Officer
- Senior Division Personnel Officer
2. Zonal Division of Railway Departments
- Assistant Personnel Officer
- Senior Personnel Officer
- Deputy Chief Personnel Officer
3. Zonal Headquarters – Headed by Chief Personnel Officer
4. Zonal Railway Unit – Headed by Principal HOD
5. Other Roles include:
- Additional Divisional Railway Manager
- Divisional Railway Manager
- Chairman of the Railway Board
- General Manager in higher Administrative Roles
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2020 in setting up their goals.