The Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS) is a Group ‘A’ service which was constituted in 1973. This service provides accounting and financial services to the Indian posts and telecommunications departments. This service has been renamed as Indian Communication Finance Service (ICFS).
This article will help IAS exam aspirants to understand the training, roles & responsibilities and career prospects associated with IP&TAFS Group ‘A’ Civil Service.
Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Financial Services (IP&TAFS) – Roles and Responsibilities
- Assessing and collecting the License Fee and the Spectrum usage charges from the telecom licensors.
- Conducting 2G, 3G, 4G spectrum auction.
- Making of policies in the departments of telecom and posts.
- Managing finances in the departments of telecom and posts.
- Conducting internal audits in the departments of telecom and posts.
- Accounting in the departments of telecom and posts.
- Managing pensions in the departments of telecom and posts, MTNL and BSNL.
IP&TAFS – Grade and Salary
Before any candidate decides to take up a career in IP&TAFS, apart from the job profile another motivating factor is the pay scale and the growth the career provides.
The below table gives exhaustive details on the Grade and Payscale associated with the IP&TAFS
|Junior Time Scale||Assistant Chief Accounts Officer||Assistant Chief Accounts Officer||Assistant Chief Accounts Officer||Assistant Chief Accounts Officer||15600-39100 + Grade Pay 5400|
|Senior Time Scale||Assistant Director-General||Deputy Controller of Communication Accounts||Assistant Director-General||Deputy Director||15600-39100 + Grade Pay 6600|
|Junior Administrative Grade||Director||Joint Controller of Communication Accounts||Director||Director||15600-39100 + Grade Pay 7600|
|Deputy Director-General/Joint Administrator||Controller of Communication Accounts||Deputy Director-General/General Manager||General Manager||37400-67000 + Grade Pay 10000|
|Senior Deputy Director-General||Principal Controller of Communication Accounts||——||——||67000(annual increment @
IP&TAFS can be posted anywhere in India. The postings are mostly confined to capital cities. They can also be appointed to central and state governments, Central Staffing Scheme, autonomous organisations, PSUs and international organisations like the UN, ADB, World Bank, etc. on deputation.
IP&TAFS – Training
The training starts at LBSNAA at Mussourie, the same as that for IAS officers.
The below table gives the details of the training undergone by the IP&TAFS probationers.
|Foundation Course||LBSNAA, Mussourie||16 days|
|Professional Training Course||National Institute of Finance Management, Faridabad||44 weeks|
|Department Training||National Institute of Communication Finance, New Delhi||36 weeks|
Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Financial Services (IP&TAFS) – Career Growth
IP&TAFS cadre officers get a multitude of opportunities, to serve in diverse profiles which are given below.
- IT officials and Financial Advisors
- Budget and Accounting managers
- Spectrum allocation
- Finance and Asset managers
- Communications Division – as project controller
- Internal Auditing officers
- Revenue Assessment and Collection
- Rural project management disbursing officers.
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2020 in setting up their goals.