The Indian Defence Estates Service (IDES) is one of the Group ‘A’ services options available for candidates who have successfully cracked the UPSC Civil Services Examination. IDES cadre officers work at the Defence Estates Organization (DEO) whose primary mandate is to manage and administer the civil affairs of cantonments and defence land in the country. This article provides the service profile of the IDES.
For more information on UPSC Civil Service Exam (CSE), visit the link IAS exam.
Indian Defence Estate Services (IDES) – Functions
- Managing the defence lands.
- Administering the Cantonment Boards.
- Developing Cantonments and ensuring health care for all residents, quality schools for all children, social care system for the elderly, differently-abled and the underprivileged sections of society.
- Conducting a regular survey of defence lands.
- Acquiring, hiring and requisitioning immovable properties for defence purposes.
- Conducting regular audits of defence land.
- Maintaining and updating accurate and digitised records of land.
- Preventing and removing encroachments and unauthorized constructions on defence land.
- Disposing defence land.
- Handling litigation regarding ownership of defence land.
- Advising the Defence Ministry on matters regarding Cantonments and defence land.
- Supervising the implementation of the Cantonments Act 2006.
Indian Defence Estate Services (IDES) – Grade & Pay Scales
This is not a very large group “A” civil service cadre like its counterparts. However, it has a very structured grade and respective pay scales associated with it.
Below table gives extensive details on grade and pay scale of IDES cadre
|Grade||Designation in Directorate||Designation in Directorate General||Pay Scale|
|Assistant Director||Assistant Director-General||15,600 – 39,100 + Grade Pay 5400|
|Deputy Director||Assistant Director-General||15,600 – 39,100 + Grade Pay 6600|
|Joint Director||Deputy Director-General||15,600 – 39,100 + Grade Pay 7600|
|Joint Director||Deputy Director-General||37,400 – 67,000 + Grade Pay 8700|
|Director||Additional Director General||37,400 – 67,000 + Grade Pay 10,000|
|Principal Director||Senior Additional Director General||67,000 – 79,000|
To know more about other Civil Services, visit the link UPSC Posts
Indian Defence Estate Services (IDES) – Career Prospects
- Opportunity for deputation with Central Government.
- Opportunity to work with State Governments
- Opportunity to work in Public Sector Undertakings
Indian Defence Estate Services (IDES) – Training
The officers undergo training at the National Institute Defence Estates Management (NIDEM) at Delhi.
Indian Defence Estate Services (IDES) – Organisation Structure
The Directorate General of IDES is situated in Delhi Cantonment. This is the Headquarters. The Directorate General is headed by the Director-General of Defence Estates (head of the IDES). Here there is one Senior Additional Director General and four Additional Director Generals, in charge of specific divisions. In the final tier of IDES structure, there are 62 cantonments each of which is headed by a Chief Executive Officer.
The above details would help candidates preparing for UPSC 2021 in setting up their goals.