National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) is a not-for-profit organization. It has been working since 2003 for spreading the internet technology and strengthening the infrastructure for the Indian citizens. NIXI was registered under Section 8 of the Companies Act. NIXI was promoted by the Department of Information Technology under the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, in association with the Internet Service Providers Association of India (ISPAI).
In this article, you can read all about the National Internet Exchange of India or NIXI for the IAS exam.
National Internet Exchange of India Activities
Activities carried out by NIXI are:
- Internet Exchanges – through the internet exchanges the internet data is exchanged amidst Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and between ISPs and Content Delivery Networks (CDNs).
- IN Registry – through the registry it manages and operates the IN country code domain and भारत (Bharat) internationalized domain name (IDN) for India.
- Indian Registry for Internet Names and Numbers (IRINN): the registry manages and operates the Internet protocol.
National Internet Exchange of India Objectives
The objectives of NIXI are as under:
- Promoting the Internet.
- Setting up Internet exchanges as well as peering points in various locations in India as and when the need arises.
- Enabling efficient and effective transit, peering, routing as well as the exchanges of Internet traffic within the country.
- To work towards continuous betterment and improvement of the quality of Broadband as well as internet services in the country.
- Setting up of Internet Domain Name Operations and other such related activities.
National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) Initiatives
The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) launched three pioneering initiatives for NIXI.
- IPv6 Expert Panel (IP Guru):
IP Guru extends support to the entities in India looking at migrating to the adoption of IPv6 but are facing technical challenges. It provides technical support and guidance to facilitate the adoption of IPv6.
- NIXI Academy:
The academy has been established to help Indian citizens learn technologies like IPv6 that are mostly not included in the educational curriculums. It encourages both technical/non-technical people in India to take up the learning of such technologies.
IPv6 index portal has been developed by NIXI for the internet community. It gives information on IPv6 adoption rate in the country as well as around the world. It facilitates comparison of progress made by India in adoption of IPv6 in comparison to other countries.
NIXI Chairman: Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
NIXI started functioning in: 2003
National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI):- Download PDF Here