Shramev Jayate Yojana also known as Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Shramev Jayate Karyakram was launched by PM Narendra Modi on October 2014 under the Government of India. This scheme was launched as an initiative for the development of industries. It also aims to expand government support for imparting skill training to the workers. Candidates should have a thorough knowledge regarding the objectives and benefits of all the schemes under the Government of India.
Aspirants would find this article very helpful while preparing for the IAS Exam.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
Shramev Jayate Yojana – Highlights
Some of the highlights of Shramev Jayate Yojana have been discussed in the table given below:
|Shramev Jayate Yojana
|Year of launching
|PM Narendra Modi
|Ministry of Labour and Employment
Shramev Jayate Yojana – Important Initiatives
Shramev Jayate Yojana was launched to support the ‘Make in India’ campaign for encouraging the manufacturing sector. The Government of India took several initiatives under the Shramev Jayate Yojana. The five major initiatives that are launched under this Yojana are discussed below:
- Shram Suvidha Portal
- Labour Inspection Scheme
- Universal Account Number: The Universal Account Number (UAN) has been allotted to all the workers. The UAN is linked with their bank account, Aadhar card and other KYC details for their unique identification. It contains complete information of around 4.17 crore subscribers.
- Apprentice Protsahan Yojana: This scheme was launched as an initiative to support the manufacturing units through reimbursement of 50% of the stipend paid to the apprentices during their first two years of training.
- Revamped Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana: It aimed to provide Smart Card facility to the workers belonging to the unorganized sector. To know in details about the benefits of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana, refer to the linked page.
What is Shram Suvidha Portal?
The Shram Suvidha Portal was launched for allotting the Labour Identification Number (LIN) to around 6 lakh units and thus allowing them to file online compliance regarding 16 labour laws out of 44. The Shram Suvidha Portal was launched on 16th October 2014.
Some of the benefits provided by the Shram Suvidha Portal are given below:
- Allotting the Unique Labour Identification Number (LIN) for facilitating online registration.
- Facilitating the filing of simplified and self-certified single online return by the industry.
- Allowing mandatory uploading of the inspection reports by the labour inspectors within 72 hours.
- To ensure the timely redressal of grievances.
Shram Suvidha Portal – Objectives
The Shram Suvidha Portal was launched for consolidating information on labour inspection and its enforcement. The major objectives of the Shram Suvidha Portal have been discussed below:
- To provide transparency and accountability in inspections.
- Reporting of the compliances in a single harmonized form to make the filing simple and easy.
- Use of key indicators for monitoring and evaluating the performance.
- To promote the use of Labour Identification Number (LIN) by all implementing agencies.
Labour Inspection Scheme
A Labour Inspection scheme has been developed by the Government of India to bring in transparency in the labour inspection. Some of the key features of the Labour Inspection Scheme are mentioned below:
- The Inspection scheme covers all the serious matters under the mandatory inspection list.
- It generates a computerized list of inspections which is based on pre-determined objective criteria.
- To centrally determine complaints based inspections on data and evidence after the examination.
- There will be a provision of the emergency list for inspection of serious cases in specific circumstances.
- A transparent inspection scheme will provide a check on the arbitrariness in the compliance mechanism.
The Shramev Jayate Yojana like any other government schemes forms an important part of the UPSC syllabus. Candidates should follow the latest developments in Current Affairs related to other government schemes for their UPSC 2021 preparation.
Candidates can refer to the Previous Year’s Social Justice Questions in UPSC Mains GS 2, from the linked article.
Multiple Choice Questions
Q.1 How many labour laws are under the purview of the Central Government?
Answer: D) 16
Shramev Jayate Yojana (UPSC Notes) – Download PDF Here