The UPSC Civil Services Exam is considered one of the toughest exams in the country. There are many myths surrounding the Civil Services Exam.
One such myth is that only School and College toppers can clear the IAS Exam. Questions like ‘Can average students crack the IAS Exam?’, “Is there any average student who cracked IAS?” often haunt the aspirants.
Most aspirants think that they should have been a topper throughout their academic career and that candidates who become UPSC toppers were toppers right from their school days. This is only a myth.
If your question is “Can an average student crack IAS?”, YES! We present a few success stories of some aspirants who were “average” students and yet cleared the exam proving that you need not be a topper to crack the IAS Exam.
So, aspirants should keep in mind that “Grades do not define intelligence” and remove the blockade that an average student cannot clear the UPSC exam.
Read on to get inspired by these “average” students’ IAS success stories who went on to bust this myth and showed the world that anyone can crack the IAS Exam.
We bring to you three amazing IAS success stories of average students without coaching to read and get some inspiration!
Average student success story
R A Israel Jebasingh
- Israel Jebasingh achieved an impressive AIR 59 in the civil services exam 2004.
- He credits hard work and determination as the reasons for his success in IAS Exam.
- In his own words, he was an “ordinary chap” and not a university gold medalist or anyone with an extraordinary academic profile.
- According to him, when not possessed with outstanding abilities, one needs determination and strength to face challenges that lie in the path of success.
IAS topper working professional
- Neha Nautiyal secured an all India rank of 185 in the UPSC CSE 2011.
- She was working while pursuing the UPSC civil services exam.
- Neha completed her post-graduation from a normal institution and was an average student.
- This did not deter her from succeeding in the IAS exam and achieving her dream.
- Despite being a working professional, Neha used to study every day for at least an hour.
- Her hard work and time management skills rewarded her in 2011 when she got selected for the service in her second attempt.
- According to Neha, it is not a stellar academic profile, but perseverance, confidence and a positive attitude that can lead one to great heights.
To know more about IAS toppers’ optional subjects, click here.
IAS Success Story
Annies Kanmani Joy
- Annies Kanmani Joy, a professional nurse hailing from Kerala bagged the prestigious IAS in 2011 with a commendable rank of 65.
- Born into a middle-class agrarian family, Annies was not even aware that as a graduate she was eligible for the UPSC civil services exam until a few years ago. Read more on the eligibility for IAS exam.
- In 2010, she gave her first attempt and secured a rank of 580.
- Not content with the ICAS post she was offered, she gave it her all in her second attempt in 2011 and made her family and her village proud by becoming an IAS officer.
- She says that being up-to-date with current affairs is more important than anything else to clear this exam. She considers herself an average student and acknowledges that her habit of reading the daily newspapers diligently worked in her favour.
You can stay up-to-date with current affairs for UPSC by visiting our daily current affairs features.
So, as is clear from the above inspiring stories, all it takes to clear the UPSC Civil Services Exam is sheer dedication, die-hard determination, commitment and proper guidance that creates the right path to make dreams come true.
To get the right kind of guidance, IAS coaching is recommended.
There are several such IAS success stories of below-average students. Look ahead and move forward. Imagine your future more than you remember your past.
For more UPSC success stories of IAS toppers, click on our ‘Get Inspired’ segment.