Books on International Relations for UPSC/International Relations UPSC books
International Relations is an important topic for UPSC Civil Service Mains (written) examination in General Studies Paper II. The international relations topic encompasses foreign policy of India, bilateral relations, regional cooperation, etc. This article gives an overview of International relations topics and important books for International Relations UPSC Mains Paper II.
Foreign policy is the instrument by which India intermingles with the world outside its borders. It has formulated foreign policy to smoothen the interaction with countries. The foreign policy of India has two main objectives:
- Protection of national sovereignty and territorial integrity of India
- Promotion of the well-being of the people from India
The foreign policy of India is framed to encourage national security and development. The policy is impacted by global, provincial and internal growths. The global, regional and interior atmosphere of India has become extremely complicated, posing numerous challenges to the foreign policy of India.
- Overview of Foreign Policy of India
- Relationship and affiliation towards socialism and USSR
- Fragmentation of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic
- Modifications in the foreign policy of India in a unipolar world
- Bi-lateral relations with neighbour countries in India
- Gujral Doctrine
- Strategic partners of India
- Look East Policy
- Multilateral relations with associations like BRICS, ASEAN, SAARC, BIMSTEC, etc.
- International disputes concerning India
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Recent issues in the global arena
Given below is the list of books for international relations for UPSC Mains examination:
- International Relations (4th Rev. & Enl. Edn.)by Vinay Kumar Malhotra
- International Relations: The Key Concepts (Routledge Key Guides)by Terry O’Callaghan, Martin Griffiths, Steven C. Roach
- International Relations in the 21st Century by Pant
- Challenge and Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy by Rajiv Sikri
- International Relations & Organisations for UPSC and State Civil Services Main Examination