The knowledge about bilateral relations between India and other nations is important for the Civil Services Examination. This article will provide you with a list of countries and their bilateral relations with India.
Important Points about India’s Foreign Relations
- India has a dedicated ministry to handle foreign affairs. It is called the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- India’s External Affairs Minister is S.Jaishankar (31st May 2019 till present).
- India is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- According to MEA, 12.6 million non-resident Indians (NRIs) (Those holding an Indian passport but ordinarily residing outside the country) are spread across more than 200 nations.
- India has a dedicated examination to recruit candidates in foreign services. The examination is called Indian Foreign Service Exam.
- The Indian Foreign Services is headed by the Foreign Secretary. The Indian Foreign Secretary heads all Indian ambassadors and high commissioners.
- The Foreign Secretary of India is Harsh V Shringla (29th January 2020 till present).
|Candidates can aid their UPSC Mains GS 2 preparation with the help of the following links:|
India’s Foreign Relations – List of Countries
The table below gives the list of countries with whom India has bilateral ties.
Bilateral Relations of India
Antigua and Barbuda
Virgin Islands, British
United Arab Emirates
United States of America
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
|Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Papua New Guinea
Mauritania [Islamic Republic of]
Micronesia [Federated States of]
Moldova, Republic of
Luxembourg [Grand Duchy of]
Holy See (Vatican City State)
Central African Republic
Congo [Democratic Republic]
Congo [Republic of]
Côte d Ivoire [Ivory Coast]
Get previous years’ International Relations questions from UPSC Mains GS 2 in the linked article.
Notes on India’s Relations with Foreign Nations for UPSC
1. India-China Relations
- The diplomatic relations between India and China were established on 1st April 1950.
- China is one of the nine neighbours of India.
- In 2020, both nations completed their 70 years of diplomatic relations.
- China’s capital is Beijing.
Download the detailed notes on India-China Relations from the linked article.
2. India-Taiwan Relations
- India does not have official diplomatic relations with Taiwan as of now.
- Taipei is the capital of Taiwan
Download the detailed notes on India-Taiwan relations from the linked article.
3. India-Bhutan Relations
- With independent India, Bhutan signed a Treaty of Friendship on 8th August 1949.
- Bhutan’s capital is Thimphu.
Download the detailed notes on India-Bhutan relations from the linked article.
4. India-Afghanistan Relations
- The relationship shared by the two nations was strengthened with the signing of the Strategic Partnership Agreement in October 2011.
- Afghanistan is one of India’s neighbours. Its capital is Kabul.
Download the detailed notes on India-Afghanistan relations from the linked article.
5. India-Malaysia Relations
- The diplomatic relations between India and Malaysia were established in 1957.
- India’s Act East and Look East Policies focus on countries including Malaysia.
- The strategic partnership between the two nations was established in 2010.
|Act East Policy||Look East Policy|
Download the detailed notes on India-Malaysia relations from the linked article.
6. India-Africa Relations
- India enjoys friendly relations with Africa.
- The diplomatic relations between India and South Africa were established on 22nd November 1993; while the strategic partnership between both nations was established in March 1997.
Download the detailed notes on India-Africa relations from the linked article.
7. India-Nepal Relations
- India and Nepal signed a treaty of peace and friendship in 1950.
- Nepal is one of India’s neighbours sharing a border with 5 Indian states.
Download the detailed notes on India-Nepal relations from the linked article.
8. India-US Relations
- India is the US’s ‘Major defence partner’. The following agreements strengthened the defence cooperation between the two nations:
- Logistical Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA)
- Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA)
- Industrial Security Annex (ISA)
Download the detailed notes on India-US relations from the linked article.
9. India-Pakistan Relations
- Pakistan is one of the neighbours of India.
Download the detailed notes on India-Pakistan relations from the linked article.
10. India-Sri Lanka Relations
- Both India and Sri Lanka share historical relations.
- India is the only neighbour of Sri Lanka.
Download the detailed notes on India-Sri Lanka relations from the linked article.
11. India-Australia Relations
- India and Australia established a strategic relationship in the year 2009.
Download the detailed notes on India-Australia relations from the linked article.
12. India-Japan Relations
- The diplomatic relations between India and Japan were established on 28th April 1952.
- In 2006, both nations established ‘Strategic and Global Partnership.’
- In 2014, the relations between India and Japan were upgraded to ‘Special Strategic and Global Partnership’.
Download the detailed notes on India-Japan relations from the linked article.
13. India-Maldives Relations
- India was the first country to recognize the Maldives after its independence.
Download the detailed notes on India-Maldives relations from the linked article.
14. India-Oman Relations
- The diplomatic relations between India and Oman were established in 1955.
- They became strategic partners in 2008.
Download the detailed notes on India-Oman relations from the linked article.
15. India-Myanmar Relations
- A treaty of friendship between both countries exists since 1951.
- Earlier known as Burma, it was separated from India in 1937.
Download the detailed notes on India-Myanmar relations from the linked article.
16. India-Bangladesh Relations
- India and Bangladesh have completed their 50 years of diplomatic relations.
- The diplomatic relations between both countries were established in the year 1971.
Download the detailed notes on India-Bangladesh relations from the linked article.
17. India-Israel Relations
- On 17th September 1950, India officially recognized Israel.
- 1992 was the year when the two nations established diplomatic relations.
Download the detailed notes on India-Israel relations from the linked article.
18. India-France Relations
- The diplomatic relations between France and India were established in 1947.
- The strategic partnership was established in 1998.
- France’s support was instrumental in India’s accession to the following groups:
Download the detailed notes on India-France relations from the linked article.
19. India-Mexico Relations
- In 1950, both nations entered into a diplomatic relationship.
Download the detailed notes on India-Mexico relations from the linked article.
20. India-Vietnam Relations
- On 7th January 1992, India established full diplomatic relations with Vietnam.
- In 2007, the relationship between India and Vietnam was upgraded to a ‘Strategic Partnership.’
- The two nations, since 2016, share ‘Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.’
Download the detailed notes on India-Vietnam relations from the linked article.
Candidates preparing for IAS Exam must go through the above-mentioned details to prepare for UPSC Mains GS 2. One can also gen an idea of important topics in international relations that are useful for the exam from the linked article.
Check the booklist to cover international relations in the linked article.
Frequently Asked Questions on India’s Bilateral Relations
Q 1. What is meant by Bilateral relations?
Q 2. Which Ministry is responsible for managing the India’s foreign ties?
International Relations Articles: