LEMOA is an important agreement that solidifies and strengthens the Military ties between India and the USA. This is an agreement that is usually signed by the USA with its allies for greater synergy between the Armed Forces of the USA and its allies. India and the USA signed the LEMOA agreement in August 2016. This article briefly discusses the various aspects and benefits of the LEMOA agreement and touches upon other foundational agreements of the USA.
Aspirants can find information on the structure and other important details related to the IAS Exam, in the linked article.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
What is LEMOA?
LEMOA is an acronym for the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement. It is a Military agreement between Armed Forces of India and the USA that establishes basic terms, conditions, procedures for Logistic support, supplies, and services. The agreement encompasses medical services, training, spare parts, fuel, food, water, transportation, clothing, repair, maintenance, and communication services.
Foundational Agreements Signed by the USA
There are three agreements that the US calls foundational agreements. They are:
- Logistics Support Agreement (LSA)
- Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA)
- Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-spatial Cooperation (BECA)
These are signed by the US with other countries with which it has close ties in the military sphere. These agreements are signed to build the basic groundwork and promote interoperability between militaries by developing common systems and standards. They also serve as guides for the sale and transfer of high-end technologies.
Benefits of LEMOA Agreement – India
- It gives access to designated military facilities on either side for refueling and replenishment.
- A mechanism will be instituted for book-keeping and payments and officials, who will act as nodal points of contact, will be designated on both sides.
- The agreement will cover four areas:
- Port calls
- Joint exercises
- Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster relief
- Other areas include food, water, billeting, transportation, petroleum, oils, lubricants, clothing, communication services, medical services, storage services, training services, spare parts and components, repair and maintenance services, and calibration services
- It does not provide for the establishment of any bases or basing arrangements.
- This is purely a logistical agreement. India can access the string of U.S. facilities across the globe for logistical support and the U.S., which operates in a big way in Asia-Pacific, will benefit from Indian facilities.
- The Agreement does not create any obligations on either Party to carry out any joint activity.
- The Agreement is aimed to significantly enhance the operational capacity of the Indian Armed Forces, including in their response to humanitarian crises or disaster relief.
Candidates can find the general pattern of the UPSC Exams by visiting the UPSC Syllabus page.