April 23rd, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan 2. Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana 3. Mobile Laboratory to test COVID-19 samples 4. Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT) 5. World Book and Copyright Day 6. Nano Mission
The Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan (KKA) is being implemented in 112 Aspirational districts of the country.
To learn more about the Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan (KKA), click on the linked article.
More than 33 crore poor people received financial assistance of Rs 31,235 crore under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package.
To know more about the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, click on the linked article.
The Defence Minister inaugurates DRDO developed Mobile Laboratory to test COVID-19 samples.
- The Minister inaugurated via videoconference a Mobile Virology Research and Diagnostics Laboratory (MVRDL) developed by DRDO in association with ESIC Hospital, Hyderabad and Private industry.
- The facility can test more than 1000 samples in one day.
- The Mobile Viral Research Lab is the combination of a BSL 3 lab and a BSL 2 lab essential to carry out the activities.
- The labs are built as per WHO and ICMR Bio-safety standards to meet international guidelines.
- The system has built in electrical controls, LAN, Telephone cabling, and CCTV.
IIFPT supports the battle against COVID-19 by manufacturing and supplying nutrient-rich foods to COVID-19 patients.
- The IIFPT is a pioneer research and educational institution under the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India.
- It was started by eminent scientist Dr. V. Subrahmanyan as an R&D lab in the Modern Rice Mill complex of the Thanjavur Co-operative Marketing Federation (TCMF) at Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu.
- The mandate of the Institute at its inception was to seek solutions for preserving high moisture paddy because the paddy harvest season in Southern India coincided with the tail end of the South West monsoons.
- The Institute was later upgraded as a national laboratory with the name Paddy Processing Research Centre (PPRC) in 1972.
- At the time of up-gradation the mandates of the Institute were also changed and the scientists in the Institute focused their research in identifying technologies for post-harvest procession and preservation of paddy.
- The Institute was moved to its current location at Thanjavur in 1984.
- Considering the vital importance of strengthening R&D efforts in the post-harvest processing, preservation and value addition of raw agricultural produce, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries strengthened and upgraded the PPRC as a National Institute in February 2008 and renamed it as Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology (IICPT).
- In 2017, it was again renamed to its current name, IIFPT.
- It currently focuses on providing solutions to all food processing areas including fish, meat and dairy products processing through intensive research and development activities.
- It is engaged in the R&D of food grain processing, value addition, by-product utilization through bio-processing, process and product development.
- IIFPT offers B.Tech., M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in Food Process Engineering and M.Tech. programs in Food Science and Technology and Ph.D. in Biotechnology.
On the occasion of World Book & Copyright Day, the Union Minister of HRD participates in a webinar on Post-COVID Publishing Scenario organized by National Book Trust, India and FICCI.
- World Book and Copyright Day is a celebration to promote the enjoyment of books and reading.
- Each year, on 23 April, celebrations take place all over the world to recognize the scope of books.
- On this occasion, UNESCO and the international organizations representing the three major sectors of the book industry – publishers, booksellers and libraries, select the World Book Capital (WBC) for a year to maintain, through its own initiatives, the impetus of the Day’s celebrations.
- The WBC for 2020 is Kuala Lampur.
- UNESCO initiated this celebration, which was observed for the first time in 1995.
- The date of 23 April was chosen since it was the date (not day) on which several prominent authors such as William Shakespeare (as per the Julian Calendar), Inca Garcilaso de la Vega and Miguel de Cervantes (as per the Gregorian Calendar) died.
- By championing books and copyright, UNESCO stands up for creativity, diversity and equal access to knowledge, with the work across the board – from the Creative Cities of Literature network to promoting literacy and mobile learning and advancing Open Access to scientific knowledge and educational resources.
- The National Book Trust (established in 1957) is an autonomous publishing house under the Union HRD Ministry.
6. Nano Mission
As part of the Nano Mission programme, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) has approved support for upscaling an antiviral nano-coatings.
For more on the Nano Mission, click on the linked article.
April 23rd, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
|UPSC 2020||Government Exams|
|UPSC Current Affairs Quiz||UPSC Prelims Exam|
|UPSC Monthly Magazine for Current Affairs||IAS Eligibility|
Read more PIB articles here.