UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan
The Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan was recently launched by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare in line with the government’s vision of doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
More about Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan :
- It was launched with an aim to aid, assist and advice farmers to improve their farming techniques and raise their income.
- It has been launched from 1 st June 2018 till 31st July 2018 during which various activities to promote best practices and enhance agriculture income will be undertaken in accordance with an action plan formulated by including various departments of the Ministry such as Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare (DAC&FW), Animal Husbandry Dairying & Fisheries (DAHD&F) etc.
- It will be undertaken in 25 villages with more than 1000 population each in Aspirational District as identified in consultation with the Ministry of Rural Development in accordance with the guidelines of NITI Aayog.
- In case, the number of villages in a district is less than 25 with more than 1000 population then all the villages will be covered.
- The overall coordination and implementation will be done by Krishi Vigyan Kendra.
- Demonstration programmes apart from these activities are also carried out on Micro Irrigation and Integrated Cropping Practice in order to familiarize the farmers with the latest techniques and how it can be implemented at the grass root level.
Various activities under Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan are:
- Distribution of soil health cards to all the farmers.
- 100% coverage of bovine vaccination for Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) in each village.
- 100% coverage of Sheep and Goat for the eradication of Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR )
- Artificial insemination saturation.
- Demonstration programmes on Micro-irrigation and integrated cropping practice etc.
- Distribution of Mini Kits of pulses and oilseeds to all the farmers.
- Distribution of Horticulture/Agro-Forestry/Bamboo plant at the rate of Rs. 5 to each family.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.