TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. INS Vikrant 2. MoU between Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) and Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), the Netherlands 3. Fast Track Special Courts 4. NavIC System 5. National Industrial Corridor Programme (NICP) 6. Exercise INDRA-21 7. Border Roads Organisation (BRO) 8. Central Board for Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC)
1. INS Vikrant
Commencement of sea trials of indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC(P71)) ‘Vikrant’.
- Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) ‘Vikrant’ designed by Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design (DND) is being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), a Public Sector Shipyard under the Ministry of Shipping.
- IAC Vikrant is a leading example of the nation’s quest for “Atma Nirbhar Bharat” with more than 76% indigenous content.
- This is the maiden attempt of the Indian Navy and Cochin Shipyard to indigenously design and build an Aircraft Carrier.
Know more about INS Vikrant in the linked article.
Cabinet approves MoU between Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) and Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), the Netherlands for research collaboration.
- The MoU paves the way for academic programmes and research activities involving students and faculty members of both institutions.
- There are provisions for student exchange programmes, dual/double degree programmes, internships and project work, faculty exchange and joint research collaborations.
- TU Delf is one of the oldest and largest Dutch public technological universities.
- The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology is an autonomous institute under the Department of Space, GOI.
- The institute imparts education at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral levels on areas with special focus to space sciences, space technology and space applications.
- It was established in 2007 and is located in Thiruvananthapuram.
Cabinet approves continuation of Centrally Sponsored Scheme for Fast Track Special Courts for two more years.
To know more about Fast Track Special Courts, check PIB dated Jan 9, 2020.
4. NavIC System
Union Minister said the usage of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (NavIC system) has increased in sectors like transportation and personal mobility.
Know more about IRNSS-NavIC in the linked article.
11 Industrial Corridors with 32 Projects to be developed in 4 phases in the country as part of National Industrial Corridor Programme (NICP).
About the National Industrial Corridor Programme (NICP):
- The National Industrial Corridor Programme (NICP) has been conceived to promote world class manufacturing facilities and develop futuristic industrial cities in India.
- It is under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- The broad objective of NICP is to provide plug and play infrastructural facilities for setting up large scale manufacturing units.
- The National Industrial Corridor Development and Implementation Trust (NICDIT) under the DPIIT is the overarching institutional framework to implement the programme.
- Under the programme, land parcels are developed for immediate allotment to manufacturing units.
- The programme aims to develop new industrial cities as “Smart Cities” and converge next generation technologies across infrastructure sectors.
- The 11 Industrial Corridors being developed are:
- Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC)
- Chennai Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC)
- Amritsar Kolkata Industrial Corridor (AKIC)
- East Coast Industrial Corridor (ECIC) with Vizag Chennai Industrial Corridor (VCIC) as Phase 1
- Bengaluru Mumbai Industrial Corridor (BMIC)
- Extension of CBIC to Kochi via Coimbatore
- Hyderabad Nagpur Industrial Corridor (HNIC)
- Hyderabad Warangal Industrial Corridor (HWIC)
- Hyderabad Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (HBIC)
- Odisha Economic Corridor (OEC)
- Delhi Nagpur Industrial Corridor (DNIC)
- Need for such a programme:
- Industrial corridors are conceived to foster global manufacturing, investment destination hubs and smart cities with the best in-class infrastructure.
- They have the potential to unleash the manufacturing potential in the country and raise its contribution to GDP by creating quality infrastructure ahead of demand.
The Indo – Russia joint training Exercise INDRA 2021 commenced at Prudboy Ranges, Volgograd.
Read more about Ex INDRA in the linked article.
BRO constructs highest motorable road in the world in Eastern Ladakh.
- The road constructed is at 19,300 ft at Umlingla Pass in Eastern Ladakh.
- BRO has constructed a 52-km long tarmac road through Umlingla Pass, bettering the previous record of a road in Bolivia connecting to its volcano Uturuncu at 18,953 ft.
- The road now connects the important towns in Chumar sector of Eastern Ladakh.
- It will prove to be a boon to the local population as it offers an alternate direct route connecting Chisumle and Demchok from Leh. It will enhance the socio-economic conditions and promote tourism in Ladakh.
- The Border Roads Organisation is responsible for constructing and maintaining the road network in India’s border areas.
CBIC launched Compliance Information Portal (CIP).
- The CBIC launched the CIP to provide free access to information on all customs procedures and regulatory compliance for nearly 12,000 Customs Tariff Items.
- The portal would also have information related to partner government agencies like FSSAI, drug controller, etc., to carry out imports and exports.
- CIP can be used by entering either the Customs Tariff Heading (CTH) or the description of the goods in question to get information to step-by-step procedures, regulatory compliances requirements like licence, certificates, etc., for imports as well as exports.
- This includes import and export through posts and courier, import of samples, reimport and re-export of goods, self-sealing facility for exporters and project imports.
- Another important feature of CIP is a pan-India map showing all the customs seaports, airports, and land customs stations, etc. It also contains addresses of the regulatory agencies and their websites.
Read previous PIB here.
August 4th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here