Exercise Indra is a bilateral exercise between the militaries of India and Russia. In September 2020, both countries launched the 11th edition of the Indra Exercise in the Bay of Bengal. The first Indra Exercise was held in 2003.
Read important facts about naval exercise Indra for prelims preparation of the IAS Exam.
Get the List of Indian Army Exercises from the linked article.
|The candidates can aid their UPSC Mains GS 3 preparation with the help of the following links:|
Important Points on Exercise Indra
- The exercise Indra was initiated as a bilateral single-service exercise in 2003. However, in October 2017, the first tri-service Indra Exercise took place in the Eastern Military District of Russia.
- The second edition of the tri-service Indra Exercise was held in December 2019 simultaneously at Babina (near Jhansi), Pune, and Goa.
- During the Indra Exercise 2020, India and Russia Defence Ministers met in Moscow and commemorated the 75th anniversary of the second world war.
- The main aim of the Indra 2020 exercise to enhance the interoperability of the Indian and Russian Navies.
- As Indra Exercise 2020 took place amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the format of the exercise was a ‘Non-contact, at sea only.’
- Representatives from the Indian Navy side:
- Guided-missile destroyer Ranvijay
- Indigenous frigate Sahyadri
- Fleet tanker Shakti
You may also like to read:
|Paramilitary Forces and Armed Forces of India||Indianisation of the Indian Army|
|Difference between Indian Army and CAPF||Armed Forces Tribunal|
Who participated from the Russian Navy side?
Representatives from the Russian Navy side:
- Destroyer Admiral Vinogradov
- Destroyer Admiral Tributs
- Fleet tanker Boris Butoma
Results of INDRA Exercise
Expected Results of the Exercise:
- Enhancement in the interoperability of the navies
- Improvement of the practices of the two navies
Activities taken up during the Indra Exercise:
- Surface and anti-aircraft drills
- Firing exercises
- Helicopter operations
- Seamanship evolutions
|INS Vikrant (R11)||SITMEX|
|Maitree Exercise||Vajra Prahar|
|Yudh Abhyas||Nomadic Elephant|
|Garuda Shakti||Shakti Exercise|
|Dharma Guardian||Surya Kiran|
|Hand in Hand Exercise||COBRA-GOLD|