Dharma Guardian is an Indo-Japan Joint Military Exercise that started off in 2018. The exercise takes place between the armies of both countries. The latest edition of this bilateral exercise was Dharma Guardian 2019 which took place between Indian and Japanese Armies in October 2019 at Vairengte, Mizoram.
Indo-Japan bilateral exercise Dharma Guardian is an important joint military exercise and makes an important topic from IAS Exam perspective. This article will give you important facts about Dharma Guardian for UPSC preparation.
Get a comprehensive List of Joint Military Exercises of the Indian Army at the linked article.
Candidates can refer to all important bilateral exercises between the Indian Army and other nations’ armies, from the links mentioned in the table below:
|Sampriti||Mitra Shakti||Maitree Exercise||Vajra prahar||Yudh Abhyas|
|nomadic elephant||hand in hand exercise||Shakti 2019||Garuda Shakti||Surya Kiran|
Dharma Guardian 2019
Dharma Guardian 2019 is the second edition of Indo-Japan joint military exercise. The facts about the exercise Dharma Guardian 2019 are given in the table below:
|When did the Dharma Guardian 2019 take place?||It took place from October 19 to November 2, 2019.|
|Where did the Dharma Guardian 2019 take place?||It took place at Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School, Vairengte in Mizoram.|
|Who participated in Dharma Guardian 2019?||Indian and Japanese Armies participated in Dharma Guardian 2019
|What was the aim of Dharma Guardian 2019?||India and Japan focussed on knowledge sharing of counter-terrorism operations and tactics that both have learnt from different operations held in various other countries|
|What is the significance of Dharma Guardian?||The exercise is held in the backdrop of the security challenges that India and Japan face due to global terrorism.|
|What is the scope of Dharma Guardian 2019?||The scope of this exercise covers platoon level joint training on counter-terrorism operations in the jungle and urban scenario.|
|Kickstart your UPSC preparation now and complement it with the links given below:|
Facts about Dharma Guardian Exercise for UPSC
The table below provides relevant facts about Dharma Guardian Exercise which are generalised in nature w.r.t. Bilateral army exercises:
|Dhara Guardian is an annual event/bilateral military exercise|
|The first edition of the Dharma Guardian exercise was held in 2018 at Counter Insurgency Warfare School, Vairengte (Mizoram), India from 01 November to 14 November 2018|
|The first Indo-Japan bilateral army exercise was participated by:
|One of the important aims of the Dharma Guardian bilateral exercise is to enhance interoperability between the armies of both nations|
|The activities included in the exercise are:
|As per the Indian Government, the benefit of such exercise is to neutralise threats that are/may be encountered in urban warfare scenarios.|
India-Japan Defence Cooperation
There is immense scope in the defence cooperation between India and Japan. Aspirants should note down the brief points about India-Japan defence cooperation mentioned below:
- India-Japan Joint Declaration on Security Cooperation was signed in 2008.
- Foreign and Defence Ministerial Dialogue (2+2) has been instituted between the nations. The other mechanisms to enhance defence cooperation between India and Japan are:
- Annual Defence Ministerial Dialogue
- Defence Policy Dialogue
- National Security Advisers’ Dialogue
- Staff-level Dialogue of each service
- The two nations have started the negotiations on the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA), which will enhance the strategic depth of bilateral security and defence cooperation.
- India and Japan intends to cooperate with defence equipment and defence technology
- Both the nations aim to strengthen defence technological capabilities through joint efforts of both public and private sectors.
- There is a mutual reaffirmation on improving the interaction between Indian and Japanese defence industries
- India and Japan have welcomed the commencement of cooperative research in the area of Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV) and Robotics.
The above details on Dharma Guardian will be helpful for the upcoming UPSC 2022 exam.
Dharma Guardian Exercise – UPSC Notes:-Download PDF Here
Frequently Asked Questions about Dharma Guardian
What is the Dharma Guardian Exercise?
What is the aim of Dharma Guardian?