Garuda Shakti is a bilateral exercise between special forces of armies of India and Indonesia. This joint military exercise is a part of India and Indonesia defence cooperation. Exercise Garuda Shakti is an important military exercise of India with another nation and makes an important topic for the IAS Exam. This article will provide important facts about Garuda Shakti Exercise for UPSC preparation.
Candidates can read about other important joint military exercises from the links mentioned in the table below:
|Sampriti||Mitra Shakti||Maitree Exercise||Vajra prahar||Yudh Abhyas|
|nomadic elephant||hand in hand exercise||Shakti 2019||Dharma Guardian||Surya Kiran|
Facts about Exercise Garuda Shakti for IAS Exam
The table below mentions a few facts about Garuda Shakti Exercise for UPSC Prelims:
|Garuda Shakti Exercise – Facts for UPSC|
|Special Forces of Indian Army (Para Special Force) and Indonesian Army participate in Garuda Shakti exercise|
|The bilateral military exercise between India and Indonesia had started off from 2012|
|The latest edition of the bilateral exercise is the 6th Garuda Shakti exercise which took place in 2018 in Bandung, Indonesia.
It ran from 19th February to 4th March 2018
|The exercise Garuda Shakti includes:
|The aim of the India-Indonesia bilateral exercise is to enhance the trust and cooperation between the two armies|
|The fifth edition of the Garuda Shakti exercise took place in India and the 4th one in Magelang, Indonesia.|
India-Indonesia Defence Cooperation
The following points are to be noted w.r.t India-Indonesia Defence Cooperation:
- India’s Look East Policy that was adopted in 1991 has enhanced and promoted the bilateral relations of India and Indonesia.
- The similar intent to promote cooperation with Eastern nations comes with India’s Act East Policy.
- To cooperate in defence sector, India and Indonesia regularly participate in:
- Biennial Defence Ministers Dialogue
- The annual Joint Defence Cooperation Meetings and
- The service level Staff Talks.
- Indian PM Narendra Modi visited Indonesia in 2018 and established a new Comprehensive Strategic Partnership to take Indonesia and India’s bilateral relationship ahead.
- 15 agreements/MoUs were signed between the two countries
- India’s Former Defence Minister Nirmala Sithraman visited Indonesia in October 2018 for bilateral talks in defence:
- The talk surrounded the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership
- Enhancement of cooperation in the areas of defence was discussed
- Improvement in information sharing and conduct of special training programs are the areas India and Indonesia plan to work for defence cooperation
- In 2018, 5th Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) between India and Indonesia and the ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks (AINTT) meeting on took place
- Defence Minister of Indonesia General (Retd) Ryamizard Ryacudu had visited India in January 2018 to participate in India-Indonesia Biennial Defence Ministers’ Dialogue.