Army Design Bureau (ADB) is an organization that is responsible for all the research and development work carried out for the procurement of weapons and other instruments necessary for the Indian Army. ADB acts as a central repository of technical know-how for the Indian Army. Army Design Bureau was created to provide an institutionalised interface towards building synergy between Startups, Incubators, R&D Organisations, Academia, Industry and the Indian Army to address unique problems faced by our front-line forces.
The Make in India initiative is monitored by the Army Design Bureau.
This topic is relevant for all IAS exam aspirants.
This is part of the initiatives of the Indian Defence segment of the UPSC Syllabus.
The candidates can read more about Indian Defence and their initiatives from the links provided below:
|Indian National Army (INA)||Defence Reforms in India|
|Defence Communication Network||Defence of India Act, 1915|
|Make in India||Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI)|
What is Army Design Bureau?
- The Army Design Bureau(ADB) in the Perspective Planning Directorate is spearheading the Indian Army’s initiative of supporting, developing and handholding of Indian Defence Industry so as to achieve self-reliance in defence equipment as part of ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government of India.
- One of the major initiatives undertaken by the ADB was the publication of three Compendiums of Problem Definition Statements that identified the core issues of concern for the Indian Army.
- ADB is also supporting the development of technology through Army Technology Board (ATB), Technology Development Fund (TDF), Make-II and Innovation for Defence Excellence (iDEX).
- In the year 2018, nine ATB projects, nine TDP projects, seventeen Make-II projects and three iDEX projects have been launched to support the development of technologies that can provide solutions to Problem Statements.
- The Army Design Bureau (ADB), has in the last couple of years, catalysed innovations and created institutionalised mechanisms to mentor and hand-hold academia and industry to facilitate endeavours such as harvesting indigenous technologies.
|Aspirants should begin their preparation by solving UPSC Previous Year Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
What is the goal of the Army Design Bureau?
The major goal of the Army Design Bureau is to empower the force with the modernised process and to also guide DRDO, PSUs, Academia and private industry on the Right Research thrust areas that should sync with the Indian Army’s requirements.
Check the Official Charter of the Army Design Bureau on the official website (indianarmy.nic.in).
What is the organizational structure of the Army Design Bureau?
The organizational structure of the Army Design Bureau is as follows:
- Tech Resource Centre
- Director DRDO
- Director of Industry Interaction
- Director ATB
- Director Field Formation
- Simulator, Innovation & Design
- Director Simulator
- Director Innovation
- Director Design
Who received the Army Design Bureau excellence award recently?
Major Anoop Mishra received the Army Design Bureau excellence award by the Army Chief for his innovative development of the Sarvatra bullet-proof jacket indigenously.