Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
Vikram lander will land on Moon as a Tribute
The centenary celebration of the birth anniversary of the founding father of ISRO – Dr. Vikram Sarabhai kicked off in Ahmedabad in the presence of dignitaries from ISRO, Department of Space, Department of Atomic Energy and members of Sarabhai Family.
About – Dr Vikram Sarabhai
- Sarabhai was considered as the Father of the Indian space program; He was a great institution builder and established or helped to establish a large number of institutions in diverse fields.
- He was instrumental in establishing the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad: after returning from Cambridge to an independent India in 1947, he persuaded charitable trusts controlled by his family and friends to endow a research institution near home in Ahmedabad.
- he establishment of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) was one of his greatest achievements.
- He successfully convinced the government of the importance of a space programme for a developing country like India.
- Homi Jehangir Bhabha, widely regarded as the father of India’s nuclear science program, supported Dr. Sarabhai in setting up the first rocket launching station in India.
- This center was established at Thumba near Thiruvananthapuram on the coast of the Arabian Sea, primarily because of its proximity to the equator.
- Sarabhai started a project for the fabrication and launch of an Indian Satellite. As a result, the first Indian satellite, Aryabhata, was put in orbit in 1975 from a Russian Cosmodrome.
National Youth Awards
- The Union Minister for Youth Affairs & Sports (I/C) Shri Kiren Rijiju conferred the National Youth Awards on individuals (aged between 15-29 years) and organizations for excellent work and contribution.
About the award
- The objective of the awards given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Department of Youth Affairs is to:
- Motivate young persons to achieve excellence in the field of national development and social service
- To encourage young people to develop a sense of responsibility to the community and thus to improve their own personal potential as good citizens
- To give recognition to the outstanding work done by voluntary organizations working with the youth for national development including social service.
- The Ministry is organizing various programmes to motivate youth, the National Youth Awards Function is one such programme.
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.