August 20th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Vice President cautions about development challenges as population size increases 2. Kisan Credit Cards 3. Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS) 4. Prime Minister's Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) 5. Tuberculosis & Chikungunya inhibiting Flavonoid Molecules 6. Trifood Project
Vice President addresses the Indian Association of Parliamentarians for Population and Development (IAPPD).
- The VP cautioned that development challenges will become more difficult to resolve as the population size increases.
- According to experts, India’s population is expected to grow to 1.52 billion by 2036 (by 25 percent with reference to 2011).
Check the below table for more terms related to population:
1.22 crore Kisan Credit Cards sanctioned with a credit limit of Rs. 1,02,065 crore under a special saturation drive.
- The special saturation drive is an effort to help the agricultural sector mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Government had announced the provision of concessional credit of Rs. 2 lakh crore which is likely to benefit 5 crore farmers, including fishermen and dairy farmers, as part of the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
To know more about Kisan Credit Cards, check PIB dated Feb 11, 2020.
Loans worth more than Rs 1 Lakh crore disbursed under ECLGS.
To know more about ECLGS, check CNA dated June 10, 2020.
Implementation of PMEGP Projects Records 44% Jump in 2020.
Read all about the PMEGP in the linked article.
The first synthetic path for tuberculosis & chikungunya inhibiting flavonoid molecules deciphered.
- Flavonoid molecules, like rugosaflavonoids, podocarflavone, and isoflavone, found to inhibit tuberculosis and chikungunya, have so far been isolated from plants.
- A team of scientists from the Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Pune, an autonomous institute of the DST, have discovered the route to synthesize these molecules in the lab.
- This discovery is the first synthetic route for producing flavonoid molecules related to the treatment of tuberculosis and chikungunya.
Significance of the discovery:
- Flavonoids are normally isolated from plants.
- However, inconsistency in natural products can occur in different seasons, places, and species.
- Along with these hurdles, over-exploitation of medicinal plants puts an extra burden on the environment.
- To overcome these problems, such products can be developed by synthetic protocols in the laboratory by simple and cost-effective methods.
- The synthetic natural products possess a structure and medicinal properties similar to the natural product.
What are flavonoids?
- Flavonoids are a group of phytonutrients present in almost all vegetables and fruits.
- They, along with carotenoids, are responsible for the varied colours of fruits and vegetables.
- There are more than 6000 types of flavonoids.
- They are associated with health benefits being good antioxidants, having anti-inflammatory properties and also offer benefits for the immune system.
- Most ayurvedic products are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids are mostly present in tomato, onion, lettuce, grape, apple, strawberry, peach, and other vegetables.
- A diet rich in flavonoids protects from diseases related to heart, liver, kidney, brain, and other infectious diseases.
Know more about chikungunya in CNA dated June 14, 2020.
Union Tribal Affairs Minister launches TRIFED’s Trifood Project.
About Trifood Project:
- TRIFOOD aims to enhance the income of tribals through better utilization of and value addition to the MFPs (minor forest produce) collected by the tribal forest gatherers.
- To achieve this, as a start, two Minor Forest Produce (MFP) processing units will be set up – one in Raigad (Maharashtra) and the other in Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh).
- The project will be implemented by TRIFED of the Tribal Affairs Ministry along with the Ministry of Food Processing.
- The units that will be set up will procure the raw material from the Van Dhan Kendras in the state.
- The fully processed products will be sold across the country in Tribes India outlets, and franchisee stores.
- Also, TRIFED plans to identify and train tribal entrepreneurs who can also sell the products.
- The ultimate aim of the project is to transform tribal lives and livelihoods and secure incomes.
Read previous PIB here.
August 20th, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here