Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
January 23rd, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose 2. Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) 3. Novel Coronavirus 4. Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar 2020 5. Web Portal ‘GATI’ 6. International Maritime Organisation (IMO) 7. National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP)
The President of India paid homage to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on his birth anniversary at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
About Subhas Chandra Bose:
To know more about Subhas Chandra Bose, click on the linked article.
The Election Commission of India is going to host the 10th annual meeting of the Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) at New Delhi.
- FEMBoSA is a regional establishment to increase mutual cooperation in respect to the common interests of the SAARC’s EMBs.
- In 2010, for the first time, the Bangladesh Election Commission organized a regional meeting titled ‘Meeting on Cooperation of Election Commissions in the South Asia Region’, which was later called Forum of Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) as an institutionalized form.
- The forum’s charter was approved in 2012 when FEMBoSA was established.
- FEMBoSA was established at the 3rd Conference of Heads of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) of the SAARC countries held at New Delhi in 2012.
- The annual FEMBoSA meeting is held by rotation among the members.
- The FEMBoSA represents a very large part of the democratic world and is an active regional association of the election management bodies of South Asia.
- The objectives of the Forum are:
- To promote contact among the EMBs of the SAARC countries.
- To share experiences with a view to learning from each other.
- To cooperate with one another in enhancing the capabilities of the EMBs towards conducting free and fair elections.
- India is the chair of FEMBoSA for 2020.
- In the annual conference, an international conference on the theme ‘Strengthening Institutional Capacity’ will also be conducted.
Also read: Election Commission of India
12,828 passengers from 60 flights screened. No case detected in the country.
For more on the Coronavirus, check CNA dated 19th Jan 2020.
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar 2020 announced.
About the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar:
- In order to recognise the excellent work done by individuals and institutions in India in the field of disaster management, the Government of India has instituted an annual award known as Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar.
- The award is announced every year on 23rd January, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- Up to three awards are given under this. Both institutions and individuals are eligible for these awards.
- If the awardee is an institution, it shall receive a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 51 lakhs. The Institution shall utilize this cash prize for Disaster Management related activities only.
- If the awardee is an individual, the winner shall receive a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 5.00 lakhs.
- Only Indian nationals and Indian institutions can apply for the award.
- For institutional awards, voluntary organizations, corporate entities, academic/research institutions, response/uniformed forces or any other institution may apply for the award.
Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways launched web portal ‘GATI’.
- The portal has been created by NHAI taking inspiration from the PRAGATI Portal used by PMO.
- It can be accessed from the NHAI Website and contractors/concessionaires can raise any project related issues on the Portal.
- The issue will immediately come to the notice of every official of NHAI including top management, and immediate action will be taken by the concerned officer, duly updating on the Portal.
- The issues raised in the GATI will be daily monitored by a team of officers in NHAI and will be constantly reviewed by the senior officers of NHAI and the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
- This will bring transparency and speed up the decision making giving real GATI (pace) to highway construction.
Union Minister of State for Shipping met the Secretary General of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) at the 50th Annual Meeting of World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland.
About the International Maritime Organisation (IMO):
The IMO is a specialised UN agency working in the area of shipping regulation.
To know more about International Maritime Organisation (IMO), click on the linked article.
NITI Aayog released its vision for the National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP).
About the National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP):
- The platform aims to democratize access to publicly available government data.
- It will host the latest datasets from various government websites, present them coherently, and provide tools for analytics and visualization.
- NDAP will follow a user-centric approach and will enable data access in a simple and intuitive portal tailored to the needs of a variety of stakeholders.
- NDAP will spearhead the standardization of formats in which data is presented across sectors and will cater to a wide audience of policymakers, researchers, innovators, data scientists, journalists and citizens.
- An inter-ministerial committee will oversee the progress of the development of the platform and a group of leading experts have been inducted into an advisory group to provide technical guidance for the development of the platform.
- The development of NDAP will take place over a period of one year. The first version of the platform is expected to be launched in 2021.
For more on the NITI Aayog, click on the linked article.
January 23rd 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
|UPSC 2020||UPSC Current Affairs|
|Monthly Magazine for UPSC Current Affairs||UPSC Current Affairs Quiz|
|Government Exams||UPSC Prelims Exam|
Read more PIB articles here.