Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
Creation of Gaganyaan National Advisory Council
A Gaganyaan National Advisory Council has been created with members from different institutions and industries
- Gaganyaan is an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft intended to be the basis of the Indian Human Spaceflight Programme.
- The spacecraft is being designed to carry three people, and a planned upgraded version will be equipped with rendezvous and docking capability.
- In its maiden crewed mission, Indian Space Research Organisation’s largely autonomous 3.7-tonne capsule will orbit the Earth at 400 km altitude for up to seven days with a three-person crew on board.
- The crewed vehicle is planned to be launched on ISRO’s GSLV Mk III in December 2021.
Watch a video lecture on Gaganyaan below:
Setting up of Neutrino Observatory
- The Government of India has approved a project to build the India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO) at Pottipuram in the Theni District of Tamil Nadu.
About Neutrino Observatory
- Briefly, the project aims to set up a 51000 ton Iron Calorimeter (ICAL) detector to observe naturally occurring atmospheric neutrinos in a cavern at the end of an approximately 2 km long tunnel in a mountain.
- This will help to reduce the noise from cosmic rays that is ever present over-ground and which would outnumber the rare neutrino interactions even in a detector as large as ICAL.
- The INO project does not disturb the ecosystem around the site and does not release any radiation, as it does not have any radioactive substance. It measures cosmic rays.
- There is no other neutrino detector anywhere in India at present. ICAL at INO would be the first of its type.
‘Study in India’ programme
- To facilitate Internationalization of Higher Education in India, a Programme viz. ‘Study in India’ is under implementation.
- The programme focuses on attracting International students from select 30 plus countries across South-East Asia, Middle East and Africa.
- The programme envisages participation of select reputed Indian institutes/universities by way of offering seats for the International students at affordable rates, along with fee waivers to meritorious foreign students ranging from 100% to 25%.
- A centralised admission web-portal acts as a single window for the admission of foreign students.
- Moreover, the programme also envisages setting up of call centres for support; algorithm for allocation of seats to the meritorious candidates; selection of top 100 partner institutions on the basis of NAACgrading and NIRF ranking.
Objectives of the Program
- This will improve the soft power of India with focus on the neighbouring countries and use it as a tool in diplomacy;
- To rapidly increase the inflow of inbound International Students in India through systematic marketing
- To reduce the export-import imbalance in the number of international students
- Growth in India’s global market share of International students; and increase in global ranking of India etc.
Empowerment of Women
Initiatives by Government
- Mahila Shakti Kendra scheme empowers rural women through community participation by involvement of Student Volunteers. The scheme is envisaged to work at the national and state level technical support to the respective government on issues related to women is provided.
- Swadhar Greh scheme targets the women victims of unfortunate circumstances who are in need of institutional support for rehabilitation so that they could lead their life with dignity.
- Ujjawala is a comprehensive scheme to combat trafficking with the objective to prevent trafficking of women and children for commercial sexual exploitation, to facilitate rescue victims and placing them in safe custody, to provide rehabilitation services by providing basic amenities/needs.
- Working Women Hostel aims at providing safe and affordable accommodation to working women. These hostels have Day care facility for the children of inmates too. The Ministry provides financial support for establishing such hostels by NGOs or State Governments.
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme – The specific objectives of the scheme include preventing gender biased sex selective elimination; ensuring survival and protection of the girl child and ensuring education and participation of the girl child.
- One Stop Centre (OSC) facilitates access to an integrated range of services including police, medical, legal, psychological support and temporary shelter to women affected by violence. The Scheme is funded through Nirbhaya Fund.
- The Scheme is being implemented since 1st April, 2015 to provide 24 hours emergency and non-emergency response to women affected by violence through referral and information about women related government schemes/programmes across the country.
- Mahila Police Volunteers (MPVs) Scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in collaboration with the Ministry of Home Affairs. It envisages engagement of Mahila Police Volunteers in States/UTs
Implementation of National Creche Scheme
- National Crèche Scheme is being implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme through the States/UTs
About the scheme
- A crèche is a facility which enables parents to leave their children while they are at work and where children are provided stimulating environment for their holistic development.
- Crèches are designed to provide group care to children, usually up to 6 years of age, who need care, guidance and supervision away from their home during the day.
- To provide day-care facilities for children (6 months to 6 years) of working mothers in the community.
- To improve nutrition and health status of children.
- To promote physical, cognitive, social and emotional development (Holistic Development) of children.
- To educate and empower parents /caregivers for better childcare.
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.