TABLE OF CONTENTS
Syllabus – GS 3, Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
Prelims – 6th Edition of Asia’s Largest Telecom Festival – India Mobile Congress 2022.
Context – Historic launch of 5G services in India at IMC, 2022.
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi launched the 5G telephony services in the country at the 6th edition of Asia’s largest telecom festival- India Mobile Congress (IMC), 2022. PM Modi lauded the efforts of IMC for bringing the digital ecosystem together and providing a great platform for dialogues and endeavours on digitalization, technology, nation building, industrial revolution and taking government services to doorsteps.
- The event was jointly organised by the department of Telecommunications & Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
- The four day long grand event hosted top leaders of the telecom and tech companies, policy makers, academia, thought leaders and others. The speakers delved upon the future of 5G development and its large-scale implementation in the country. Discussions were held on challenges, efforts and opportunities in the 5G arena which can contribute in creating a robust tech ecosystem in the country.
- GoI is planning to set up 100 5G labs across the country. The GoI is working to simplify the licence regime for all telecom players.
- IMC 2022 showcased development and efforts around 5G technology in India and how they can contribute in the digital transformation by making communication, connection and commerce seamless.
IMC is the largest digital technology forum in Asia. IMC has established itself as a leading platform for bringing together the industry, government, academia and other ecosystem players to discuss and display the latest in the technology world.
Syllabus – GS 2, Important International Institutions
Prelims – Global News Forum, 2022.
Context – Global News Forum – Truth and Trust at the times of crisis.
- Prasar Bharati and Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) jointly organised the Global News Forum 2022 in New Delhi.
- Dr L.Murugan, the Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting delivered the keynote address at Global News Forum. The minister said that the forum is an excellent platform to exchange ideas and experiences. That media holds prime importance in a democracy as its fourth pillar and it played a crucial role in disseminating information during the pandemic.
- The theme of this year’s event is “Truth and Trust at the times of crisis”.
- Global News Forum 2022 is the ABU’s flagship 3 days annual NEWS event hosting around 80 foreign participants from the field of media and journalism from different broadcasting organisations.
About ABU ( Asia- Pacific Broadcasting Union)-
- The Union was established in 1964 as a not-for-profit, non-government, non-political, professional association with a mandate to assist the development of broadcasting in the region. ABU promotes the collective interests of television and radio broadcasters as well as key industry players and facilitates regional and international media co-operation.
- It has over 253 members in over 67 countries in the Pacific region, Asia (South east, North, South, Central), Middle East, Europe, North Africa and North America, reaching a potential audience of about 2 billion people.
- Doordarshan (DD) & All India Radio (AIR) both are Full Members of ABU. All India Radio was a founding member of the ABU in 1964 while Doordarshan joined ABU in 1976.
- Its headquarter is at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- ABU organises key industry, regional and global conferences and summits as platforms for exchanging ideas, experiences and practices.
Syllabus – GS 1, Important Personalities, The Freedom Struggle.
Prelims – Shyamji Krishna Varma.
Context – Shri Narendra Modi paid rich tributes to Shyamji Krishna Varma on his birth anniversary (4th October).
About Shyamji Krishna Varma (1857 – 1930)
- Shyamji Krishna Varma was born on 4th October 1857 in Mandvi town of Kachchh district of Gujarat. He was an Indian freedom fighter, lawyer and a journalist.
- He was well versed with Sanskrit and other languages.
- He founded Indian Home Rule Society, India House and The Indian Sociologist in London. Indian Home Rule Society was an Indian organisation founded in 1905 to promote the cause of self rule in British India. The monthly Indian Sociologist became an outlet for nationalist ideas. India House was a student residence that existed between 1905 and 1910 which was opened to promote nationalist views among Indian students in Britain.
- He died on 30th March 1930 in Switzerland.
October 4th, 2022, PIB:- Download PDF Here
Read the previous PIB articles here.