The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducted the IAS Prelims exam 2021 on October 10, 2021. In this article, we bring to you the analysis of the UPSC preliminary examination General Studies Paper 1 for this year, along with the exam pattern and syllabus for this paper.
GS Paper 1 includes questions from subjects like History, Geography, Polity, Economics, General Science, Technology, Environment and Current Affairs. All IAS Exam aspirants can download the UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 1 PDF given below for reference:
This year, the level of the paper was moderately simpler in comparison to the last year, and experts believe that the UPSC Cut Off for the prelims is also expected to increase. Let us discuss the different aspects of the paper in detail, further below in this article.
Meanwhile, to learn more about the level of GS Paper 2 or the CSAT paper, candidates can visit the UPSC Prelims 2021 Paper 2 page and get details about the Civil Services Aptitude Test.
|Want to increase your marks in the UPSC GS-1 Paper for the prelims exam? Refer to the links below and score more in the upcoming examination:|
IAS (UPSC CSE) Prelims 2021- Paper Analysis
- The civil services prelims exam 2021 was held on October 10, in two sessions. The schedule for GS Paper 1 and GS Paper 2 is 9.30 AM to 11.30 AM and 2.30 PM – 4.30 PM respectively.
- As per the official data, over 10 lakh candidates had applied for the UPSC CSE 2021 and more than 50% attendance was noted at the centres for the preliminary examination.
- The paper was objective type and the overall level was easy to moderate.
Aspirants can check the subject-wise distribution of questions in the table given below to comprehend which topic managed to cover the maximum part of the paper:
|Subject-wise Weightage of Questions in IAS Prelims 2021 GS Paper-1 [Set D]|
|Subject||No. of Questions||Standard of Questions|
|Polity||21||Easy to moderate|
|History||18||Easy to moderate|
|Current Affairs||11||Easy to moderate|
|Science and Technology||8||Moderate|
|Environment and Ecology||18||Moderate|
|Geography||10||Easy to moderate|
|Economy||14||Easy to moderate|
Aspirants can evaluate their performance in the civil services prelims exam 2021 by checking the answer key of the two General Studies papers. Download the UPSC Prelims Answer Key 2021 PDF at the linked article.
Subject-wise Distribution of Questions Under Each Topic
- Polity – Fundamental Rights, Constitutional Government, Indian legislation, Indian Judiciary, Definition of ‘State’ and meaning ‘Citizenship’, were the common topics based on which polity questions were formed.
- History – A mixed bunch of questions based on ancient and medieval history and art and culture were included. 2-3 questions based on temple and cave architecture were also asked
- Current Affairs – Few of the questions were based on the Dolavira site, ICC World Test Championship, 32nd Summer Olympics, Water credit. Mostly, the paper covered the events of importance from the past one year.
- Science and Technology – Multiple questions based on animal and plants’ cells and genes were asked. Apart from that, questions on astronomical measurement, the difference between sodium and LED lamps, etc. were also asked
- Environment and Ecology – A lot of questions based on environment and ecology were asked, a few based on current developments, and others based on the generic aspects. These questions were slightly higher in difficulty level in comparison to the others.
- Geography – Types of soil, climate, and fertilizer for crops other geographical location-based questions were included
- Economy – Banking, Economic Terms, Urban Cooperative Banks, Black Money, Devaluation of currency, were a few of the common topics
Aspirants can strengthen these topics for the future by solving more questions based on the same. They can refer to the past 8 years of questions from each of these subjects and accordingly prep-up for the IAS prelims 2022:
|Ancient History Questions in UPSC Prelims||IAS Prelims Geography Questions and Answer|
|UPSC Prelims Economy Questions||UPSC Prelims Environment & Ecology Questions|
|UPSC Prelims Indian Polity Questions||Science and Technology Questions in UPSC Prelims|
IAS Prelims – Syllabus & Exam Pattern
Given below is the exam pattern and syllabus for the General Studies-I in brief along with some salient points about this paper:
|No. of Questions||100|
|Types of Questions||Objective|
|Negative Marking||0.33 for every wrong answer|
|Nature of Exam||Qualifying in Nature|
The subjects/topics included in this paper are:
- Current events of National & International importance
- History of India & Indian National Movement
- Indian & World Geography
- Indian Polity & Governance
- Economic & Social Development
- Environment and Ecology
- General Science/ Science & Technology
To check out the detailed and comprehensive UPSC Syllabus to start off your preparation for the upcoming CSE recruitment, visit the linked article.
For any further exam updates, study material and preparation tips, turn to BYJU’S for assistance.