UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam is of Optional Subject and consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. URDU PAPER-I (Answers must be written in Urdu) Section-A Development of Urdu Language
- a) Development of Indo-Aryan (i) Old Indo Aryan (ii) Middle Indo Aryan (iii) New Indo Aryan
- b) Western Hindi and its dialects Brij Bhasha Khadi Boli, Haryanavi Kannauji, Bundeli-Theories about the origin of Urdu Language
- c) Dakhani Urdu-Origin and development, its significant linguistic features.
- d) Social and Cultural roots of Urdu language-and its distinctive features.
Script, Phonology, Morphology, Vocabulary. Section-B
- a) Genres and their development : (i) Poetry : Ghazal, Masnavi, Qasida, Marsia, Rubai, Jadid Nazm,
(ii) Prose : Novel, Short Story, Dastan, Drama, Inshaiya, Khutoot, Biography.
- b) Significant features of : (i) Deccani, Delhi and Lucknow schools (ii) Sir Syed movement, Romantic movement, Progressive movement, Modernism.
- c) Literary Criticism and its development with reference to Hali, Shibli, Kaleemuddin Ahmad, Ehtisham Hussain, Ale-Ahmad Suroor.
- d) Essay writing (covering literary and imaginative topics)
PAPER-II (Answers must be written in Urdu) This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate’s critical ability. Section-A
- Mir Amman Bagho-Babar
- Ghalib Intikhab-e-Khutoot-e-Ghalib
- Mohd. Husain Azad Nairang-e-Khayal
- Prem Chand Godan
- Rajendra Singh Apne Dukh Mujhe Bedi Dedo
- Abul Kalam Azad Ghubar-e-Khatir
- Mir Intikhab-e-Kalam-e-Mir (Ed. Abdul Haq.)
- Mir Hasan Sahrul Bayan
- Ghalib Diwan-e-Ghalib
- Iqbal Bal-e-Jibrail
- Firaq Gul-e-Naghma
- Faiz Dast-e-Saba
- Akhtruliman Bint-e-Lamhat