UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – World Sustainable Development Summit 2018
The World Sustainable Development Summit 2018 (WSDS 2018) is organized by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI). It is a flagship event of TERI. The World Sustainable Development Summit creates a platform in order to bring together the leaders and thinkers associated with the field of environment, energy and sustainable development from across the globe.
WSDS is the replacement of the earlier Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) of The Energy and Resources Institute, a non-profit organisation conducting research in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development. The Delhi Sustainable Development Summit was first organised in the year 2005. The highlight then was to reduce poverty and make sure that the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are adopted quickly and in a sustainable manner.
- The 2018 version of WSDS seeks to accelerate action towards sustainable development and climate change.
- The event’s focus was on the theme, ‘Partnerships for a Resilient Planet’.
- The 2018 edition was organised at Vigyan Bhavan in Delhi and was inaugurated by the Prime Minister.
- The summit aims at creating action frameworks for resolving the challenges related to climate change in the developing economies.
- The summit saw participation of over 2000 delegates inclusive of diplomats from around the world, corporates, think tanks, researchers, policy makers etc.
- The World Sustainable Development Summit 2018 focused on discussing issues such as refrigerant technology, solar energy, sustainability, sustainable transportation facilities and carbon markets among many other issues in this arena.
- Issues relating to creation of financial mechanisms to bring about effective, efficient climate change mitigation, creation of conducive environment for transition to clean energy, facilitating better resource exploitation, increasing energy efficiency, measures to tackle pollution and its effects etc were taken up for discussion in the summit.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition