Chemistry in Everyday Life

Chemistry in Everyday Life

We all have an idea of what chemistry is, it is the branch of science which deals with the investigation of the properties and changes of matter in our known universe. Even though that is a bit far-fetched definition of chemistry, we have all studied chemistry and been a part of it in one way or the other. It is so prevalent in our actions and surrounding that most of us don’t have a clear idea of how much so. From the way how our body exchanges oxygen to how our universe was created, all have a side of chemistry associated with it.

Examples of chemistry in everyday life

Let us discuss some examples of chemistry in everyday life which most of us never knew about.

  1. The expiration date on bottled drinking water: Have you ever wondered why there is an expiration date on a bottle of drinking water, after all, it is just water isn’t it? Well most of us haven’t even noticed that there is, in fact, an expiration date on that bottle. The idea behind instilling an expiration on bottled drinking water is to standardize the packaging quality of it. What the actual expiration date signifies is if the expiration date is up, the taste of the water will be different as there is a chance of the chemicals in the packaging material ruining the quality of water.
  2. Sunblock & Sunscreen: In this burning world of ours, we all have or will need to use some sort of protection from the sun. Two options that are available are sunscreen and sunblock but hardly anyone has any idea about what it really is and does. Well firstly, there are two kinds of rays from the sun which are particularly bad for us, UV-A & UV-B. Sunscreens action is as the named suggest, it functions as a screen and offers protection from sunburns which is caused by UV-B. Whereas sunblock has more of reflective nature and blocks both UV-A & UV-B radiations.
  3. The chemistry of love: There is chemistry involved in all of our actions within our body along with the biological aspects of it. One good example would be the act of love. There are certain hormones like endorphins and oxytocin which performs specific actions in our body. The hormone believed to be responsible for love is oxytocin. Produced by the hypothalamus, oxytocin is linked to relationship building, sexual activity, empathy, and trust. The hormone is known to induce physical and psychological changes. Studies have shown that people who are in the early stages of a relationship showcased higher oxytocin levels when compared to single non-attached people.
  4. How soaps work: We all use soap multiple times in a day to wash off all the dust and dirt that accumulates on us during our day. But how do they actually clean the dirt off? Soaps are manufactured using a process known as saponification. Soaps are generally sodium or potassium salts of long chain fatty acids. Soap molecules have a hydrophobic as well as hydrophilic part. While the hydrophilic part clings to the water when washing, the hydrophobic end clings to the dirt particles. Thus when we pour away the water, the dirt particles wash away with the soap molecules.
  5. Elements in the human body: We all know our body is about 60% water, but then what composes the rest of it? Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen & Oxygen. These elements compose 96% of the human body. Whereas the rest 4% is composed of about 60 elements. Some of these elements include calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur.

Chemistry in Everyday Life

Thus, we have discussed just some of the many instances in which chemistry is in our everyday life. For information on important questions of class 12 chemistry chapter 16 chemistry everyday life and more, register with BYJU’S.


Practise This Question

Beverage companies aim to provide zero calorie soft drinks through their products such as Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. Which of the followings can’t be constituents of these soft drinks –