Cherry blossom festival is known as Sakura in Japan to signify the approaching spring. The cherry blossom festival celebrates the beauty of nature throughout Japan. People indulge in merrymaking, drinking, singing and holding feasts while the flowers bloom.
This traditional festival became a global event when different countries like the United States, Korea, India, China and Sweden started celebrating it.
The cherry blossom festival in India is celebrated in Meghalaya’s capital city, Shillong, to cherish nature’s bounty.
According to the Times of India, the cherry blossom festival was celebrated from 25th to 27th November 2021 in Shillong. The following article discusses this festival and its essential facts in detail.
Aspirants can visit the linked article and get details about the upcoming government exams that comprise current affairs and general awareness as an important topic in the syllabus.
Preparing for the upcoming civil services exam? Complement it with the links given below:
About Cherry Blossom Festival
- The tradition of celebrating cherry blossoms in Japan is centuries old.
- Cherry blossoms signify optimism and renewal in Japan. These flowers bloom up at the beginning of spring. They also symbolize the transience of life as in Buddhism.
- Planting cherry blossom trees in Washington DC originated in 1912 as a gift of friendship between the United States and Japan.
- Washington DC will celebrate the Cherry Blossom Festival for four weeks, from 20th March to 17th April 2022. The festival will have many fun events, food festivals and cultural programmes.
Individuals should also learn about the cherry blossom festival in India and participate in the festivities.
Important Facts on Cherry Blossom Festival in India
- According to the Shillong Times, Ambassador of Japan to India, H.E. Satoshi Suzuki, Chief Minister and Conrad K Sangma inaugurated the Cherry Blossom Festival in 2021.
- This festival took place in venues Ward’s Lake and Polo Grounds in Meghalaya.
- During the cherry blossom festival, the honorable guest inaugurated the Shillong Literary Festival.
- Cherry blossoms are also known as Prunus Cerasoides. They underline the Himalayas and cover the east and west Khasi hills.
- As per the official Meghalaya Tourism website, this festival conducted numerous fun events. Many artists and authors took part in this annual celebration.
- The three-day festival had multiple competitions like singing, dancing and fashion shows.
Hopefully, this article on cherry blossom festival will help individuals appreciate nature’s beauty. Individuals can keep a tab on the news reports to know when the cherry blossom festival starts in 2022.
This practice will also help them learn new facts about this festival and traditions. For instance, students aspiring for competitive exams like UPSC 2022 can ace their preparation with in-depth knowledge of this topic.
Additionally, they can check educational portals that offer a detailed guide on various topics, besides the cherry blossom festival.
For the best preparation strategy for competitive exams candidates can visit the linked article and get detailed study material and preparation tips to excel in the examination.
UPSC Prelims Previous Year Environment and Ecology Questions