AIR Spotlight is an insightful program featured daily on the All India Radio Newsonair. In this program, many eminent panellists discuss issues of importance which can be quite helpful in IAS exam preparation. In this article, the topic of discussion is the achievement of 100 cr covid vaccination doses by India.
The Spotlight episode highlights the Covid-19 vaccination journey in India that the government is successfully embarking on.
India: The Global Vaccine Hub
- India is the world’s largest producer of vaccines. Nearly 60 % of the world’s vaccines are produced in India.
- UNICEF depends heavily on vaccines produced in India for its global health programs.
Covid Vaccine in India
- India has been able to continuously maintain one of the lowest fatality rates and highest recovery rates across the world.
- India‘s indigenous COVID-19 vaccine – Covaxin by Bharat Biotech is developed in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- The vaccine created by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) is named Covishield. The two approved vaccines in India had a 5-stage scrutiny.
- Understanding the Corona symptoms and effects
- Preparing a vaccine composition on the basis of symptoms and effects
- Animal Trial
- Pilot Trial – It included dose decision, a study of human body reaction, and after-effects of the vaccine.
- The final stage was the analysis and approval by the Subject Expert Committee.
Watch the following video for a discussion on covid vaccines:
- The Subject Expert Committee (SEC) approved two vaccines – Covaxin and Covishield.
- The DCGI and the Central Government joined hands with the SEC approval.
- There was another Group of Ministers that closely and exclusively monitored the vaccines.
- ICMR official Dr Raman Gangakhedkar has been a crucial part of this national goal.
- The CoWIN platform has been very useful in this crisis.
- CoWIN (Covid Vaccine Intelligence Work) is an app introduced by the central government of India for the vaccination process.
- Cowin monitors the timely availability of vaccines at the vaccine centres along with the proper vaccination.
- The Quad (a strategic group of the United States, India, Japan and Australia) has set a target of 1 billion vaccine production in India by 2022.
- 7crore 90 lakh vaccines have been provided by Quad till present.
- The Government of India has been working to the best of its capacity in order to ensure better combat in times of the pandemic.
- The government has urged the people of India to get vaccinated against covid-19 without any inhibitions.
Read more about the 100 crore vaccination dose milestone and the need for caution in PIB dated 21 Oct 2021.
Read more Gist of AIR Spotlight here.
AIR Spotlight – 100 Crore Doses of Covid-19 Vaccination:- Download PDF Here