Exercise Sahyog Kaijin is a critical military exchange between Japan and India under an agreement signed by both countries in 2006. Indian and Japanese Coast Guard personnel are trained under this activity.
It is also essential to know that the Exercise Sahyog Kaijin facilitates cultural and professional interactions between the personnel of both countries. The main focus of this exercise is to search and rescue people who are stranded by the sea. It also teaches the personnel how to deal with piracy and pollution issues that are common in the huge water bodies where they operate.
This article will provide information about Exercise Sahyog Kaijin in the context of the UPSC Exam.
How is the Sahyog Kaijin done?
- Sahyog Kaijin exercise is between the two countries, and more importantly between soldiers of these countries.
- There are specific processes followed since it is a military-related exercise.
- The involvement of two military groups ensures that it is a thoroughly organised and well-thought-out exercise routine. Here is how the exercise takes place:
- The Japanese Coast Guard Patrol Ship Echigo and a 60 member crew are sent to participate in the programme. India sends about four ICG ships and their aircraft ahead. India also sends a vessel from the National Institute of Ocean Technology to participate in the exchange programme.
- This also includes many Indian crew members who participate in the exercise with the Japanese crew.
- The exercise, Sahyog Kaijin, is between the Indian and Japanese Coast Guard as agreed in 2006. This activity proceeds with personnel of both sides coming together on one of the vessels of either nation and further practising the exercise together.
- It also involves speeches given by military leaders and everyday sporting activities organised by both countries. The programme includes official calls from the chiefs of both sides and reciprocal visits on-board, on ships of both nations. Various stages of the activity promote peaceful relations between both countries.
Candidates can enhance their UPSC exam preparation by attempting UPSC Previous Years Question Papers now!!
To complement your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
Significance of the Exercise Sahyog Kaijin
- India and Japan are a part of the Quad grouping and there are several reasons why this exchange is critical.
- Most importantly, it helps both countries strengthen their ties.
- The programme also helps both countries deal with piracy, which is a major area of concern in the region surrounding the Indian Ocean.
- Through such activities, the forces on both sides can keep refreshing their skills and learn new techniques.
- Staying connected with the other country’s military personnel has several benefits other than making it easier to carry out routine operations.
What are its goals and aims?
Many factors make the Sahyog Kaijin an important activity for both countries. Understanding its purpose will help gain complete knowledge of the entire exchange. Some of the goals of this exchange program are listed below:
- It aims to strengthen bilateral ties between both countries. It also helps increase a level of understanding between both the coast guards.
- This also helps to deal with the issue of trafficking or piracy or any other illegal ventures happening in the Indian Ocean or the region surrounding it.
- This exercise also aims to help enhance the level of transparency in communication between the two countries.
- It also aims to make search and rescue operations easier for both sides. The activity also aims at increasing the effective presence of both countries in the sea. The availability of a platform for sharing the best techniques and knowledge between the military is the key benefit for both sides.
- Knowing its nature and aims helps gain a proper understanding of the entire military practice shared by the two countries.
- Furthermore, having a good relationship with each other will help both the coast guards ensure a safer Indian Ocean.
- It shall also assist them to easily manage the entire transport and rescue operations.
- Furthermore, this is a significant military venture since it ensures that both countries are well updated with their training methods and skills.
For the best preparation strategy for competitive exams candidates can visit the linked article and get detailed study material and preparation tips to excel in the examination.
Other related links: