Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust is the largest container port in India and is located in Nhava Sheva in Maharashtra. The port is built on the Arabian Sea and is accessible through the Thane Creek. The port is the terminal of Western Dedicated Freight Corridor.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust is an important topic for the IAS exam. Candidates must keep a track of the current developments and issues of the country to score well in the examination. This article will talk about the development of Jawaharlal Nehru Port in Maharashtra.
|Aspirants can check how well their preparation is progressing by attempting the CSAT Mock Tests now!!
Enhance your preparation for the upcoming exam, check the following links:
How significant is the Mega CEZ at the Jawaharlal Nehru PT?
The mega coastal economic zone (Mega CEZ) will be the first of its kind that will be developed at the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) in Maharashtra.and will stretch along North Konkan region spreading across Raigarh, Nasik, Pune, Thane and Mumbai. 14 such mega CEZs are proposed to be set up under the National Perspective Plan of Sagarmala Programme with the aim of promoting the development of industrial clusters along with the ports and for encouraging port-led development. 200 acres of land is set aside for establishing manufacturing units in the zone. This will help in enhancing the global competitiveness in India and also in the reduction of the cost incurred in logistics.
JNPT is the first Indian port to have implemented a logistics data bank tagging system of containers. It has been launched as a part of ‘Ease of Doing Business’. It focuses on cost reduction, time and documentation for the benefits of trade.
To know about the major ports in India, refer to the linked page.
Advantages of RFID Tags in JNPT
- Each container will be attached with an RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Tag) which would help in tracking the containers through the RFID readers installed at different locations.
- Visibility and transparency of the container movement of the exporters and importers will be easier with the application of the RFID tag.
- The entire movement of containers through road or rail to the Container Freight Station and the Inland Container Depot and Container Freight Station will be covered.
- Provision of real-time information in a detailed manner will be possible within a single window as the information available with various agencies across the supply chain will be integrated by the system.
- Tracking the goods in transit with the help of logistics data bank service.
- The overall lead time of the movement of a container across the western corridor will be reduced. This shall further help in the reduction of transaction costs of the consignees and the shippers.
Latest Developments Regarding JNPT
- Initiatives in infrastructure development and simplification of processes by JNPT helps in improving the import dwell time from 55.55 hours in 2018-2019 to 37.33 hours in 2019-2020 (until January)
- JNPT walks back handling fees in order to improve overall cargo handling time
- A potential delay of at least two years in getting connected to the game-changing and keenly awaited Dedicated Freight Corridor is a cause of concern for the authorities at JNPT.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust – UPSC Notes:- Download PDF Here
Questions related to Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust
Where is JNPT located?
Jawaharlal Nehru Port. Jawaharlal Nehru Port, abbreviated as JNPT, also known as Nhava Sheva, is the largest container port in India. Located east of Mumbai (previously known as ‘Bombay’) in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, this port on the Arabian Sea is accessed via Thane Creek.
How important is JNPT?
In the water transportation system the sea ports are very important. Similarly,the Jawaharlal Nehru port is one of most important dear ports of the West coast of India. It is also the largest container port in India. That’s why it has a great marine transportation importance in our country.
FAQ about Jawaharlal Nehru Port Jnpt
Where will India’s 13th major port be constructed?
Which is biggest port of India?