Ever wondered what awaits you after clearing the UPSC IAS Exam? The life of an Officer Trainee (OT) is a profoundly fulfilling experience aimed at overall personality development and technical upskilling so that the fresh recruits join their respective cadres and services ready for the challenge. The first phase for successful candidates is a four-month Foundation Course at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA). After this, the OTs are divided as per the services and are sent to the designated training places. However, the training for the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Officers is held at LBSNAA, and it involves Bharat Darshan (a tour of India) and District training.
We will discuss in depth, IAS training at LBSNAA, Mussoorie and Bharat Darshan later in the article. To begin with, the table below gives information on the training of other prominent services after the Foundation Course at LBSNAA.
|IAS||Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA)||Mussoorie||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)|
|IPS||Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA)||Hyderabad||Osmania University|
|IFS||Foreign Service Institute||New Delhi|
|IFoS||Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy (IGNFA)||Dehradun||Degree from Forest Research Institute|
|IRS (Income Tax)||National Academy of Direct Taxes||Nagpur||NALSAR University|
|IRS (Customs and Central Excise)||National Academy of Customs, Excise & Narcotics||Faridabad||NALSAR University|
The four-month foundation course at LBSNAA is for all new recruits to the All India Services and Central Services. The course aims to instil a spirit of cooperation and coordination among different services by promoting an esprit de corps.
If you are curious about specific aspects of IAS training at LBSNAA, Bharat Darshan or you are about to kickstart your UPSC preparation, refer to the links given below for more information. For detailed information about IAS training, please scroll down and read on.
Induction training for IAS probationers (direct recruits)
As per the official website (lbsnaa.gov.in), the 94th Foundation Course for the 2019 batch is set to commence from August 26, 2019, and will end on December 06, 2019.
The IAS training programme schedule is given below:
- Foundation Course
- District Training
- Assistant Secretary-ship
Apart from the induction training for direct recruits, LBSNAA also holds induction training for the officers promoted from the State Civil Services to the IAS. Also, mid-career training programs are held for upskilling bureaucrats. The almost two-year-long training schedule for IAS probationers is elaborated below.
IAS Training Phase-1 (Winter Study Tour – Bharat Darshan)
- The Winter Study Tour or Bharat Darshan
- After the Foundation Course, the IAS probationers (OTs) are divided into groups and taken on a tour of India to experience the rich cultural diversity and heritage
- They meet dignitaries including the Hon’ble President of India.
- Each group is attached to different executive/defence/administrative institutions for acquiring a more in-depth understanding.
- Also, a part of Bharat Darshan is a week-long stint at the Lok Sabha Secretariat (Bureau of Parliamentary Studies) at Delhi
- Academic Module
- 15-week long training at LBSNAA
- A typical day of an IAS probationer starts at 6 am with an exercise drill
- Academic sessions include Policymaking, land management, soft skills, project management, national security, e-gov etc.
- Evening hours and holidays are dedicated to cultural activities, trekking and adventure sports, horse riding, volunteering, cross-country runs etc.
IAS Training – District
- Almost a year long
- Studying the administrative setup in a particular district by being a part of it
- First hand understanding of developmental issues, challenges, solutions and implementation
IAS Training – Phase 2
- Sharing the individual learning experience from Phase 1 and district training
- Articulating and discussing the various developmental challenges and issues
- Special sessions with distinguished subject matter experts
The probationers, having completed their induction training join their respective deputations. However, a few years ago, a high-level committee recommended that all IAS officers should have some experience of the working of the Central Secretariat, hence all IAS probationers are now given the title of Assistant Secretaries and they work under the respective Joint Secretaries on a central deputation for a period of a few months.
The IAS training experience at LBSNAA is a deeply enriching one. The programme modules such as Bharat Darshan and District Training provide on-field learning opportunities to the IAS probationers which the academic sessions conducted at the LBSNAA prepare the new recruits for challenges ahead. There are exams and marks during the training as well and the probationers have to abide by the Probation Rules. However, a regular stipend during the probationary period and a distinct focus on co-curricular and extracurricular activities enables the IAS officers-to-be to learn how to balance work with overall personality development.