The Government of India restructured the Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) to the Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK). Information on Government Schemes like these is useful for aspirants preparing for the IAS Exam.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram or PMJVK is governed by the Ministry of Minority Affairs. It can be related to Government Schemes and Indian Polity of the General Studies Paper 2 in the UPSC Syllabus.
PMJVK UPSC Notes:- Download PDF Here
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK)
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram was developed to enhance the basic infrastructure facilities and socio-economic amenities for the minority communities. PMJVK focuses on provisions particularly in the fields of Health, Education and Skill-development. This will assist in lessening the gap between the national average and the minority communities with respect to economical and backwardness parameters. The scheme takes care of the development deficits in the Minority Concentration Areas (MCAs).
- Based on the 2011 census, identification criteria of MCTs (Minority Concentration Towns) and Village Clusters have been rationalized under PMJVK.
- Minority Concentration Towns: Towns that were found backward in terms of both Basic Amenities and Socio-economic parameters.
- Basic Amenities:
- Percentage of households with latrine facility within the premise
- Percentage of households with pucca walls
- Percentage of households with electricity
- Percentage of households with safe drinking water
- Socio-economic parameter:
- Literacy rate
- Work participation rate
- Female literacy rate
- Female work participation rate
- As of 2018, population criteria for the selection of Village Clusters have reduced from 50% to 25%.
- An online module along with geo-tagging has been included in order to improve the monitoring.
- To further improve the monitoring of funds and its utilization, all the implementing agencies are brought under the PFMS (Public Finance Management System).
Click here to know more about Government Schemes for UPSC.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) Funding
Funding for the Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram Scheme comes from the Ministry of Minority Affairs budget. It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- The State Govt/UTs or Organizations look after the recurring and maintenance expenses.
- Special focus by earmarking funds:
- 80% of resources would be earmarked for projects related to skill development, health and education.
- 33 to 40% would be specifically allocated for women-centric projects.
Also read, National AYUSH Mission.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) Coverage
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) covers a total of 32 States/Union Territories.
- When compared to the previous scheme Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP); the PMJVK covers 57% more area.
- MsDP covered 196 districts which were increased to 308 districts under PMJVK.
- This was achieved by including Minority Concentration District Headquarters along with MCTs and village clusters.
- The scheme covers MCAs. For the purpose of the scheme’s implementation, MCAs refer to:
- Backward Minority Concentration Towns (MCTs)
- Backward Minority Concentration Blocks (MCBs)
- Backward Clusters of Minority Concentration Villages (CoVs)
- Backward Minority Concentration Districts Headquarters (MCD Hqrs)