Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
Mobile application-“Janaushadhi Sugam” launched
- Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers launched a mobile application “Janaushadhi Sugam”.
Significance of this initiative
- The minister announced that “Jan Aushadhi Suvidha Oxo-Biodegradable Sanitary Napkin” will now be available at only One Rupee per pad.
- Janaushadhi Sugam app will enable people to search for Janaushadhi generic medicines and the stores at the tip of their fingers.
- About 28 million girls are reported to be leaving education because of lack of availability of good quality Sanitary Napkin” pads at a reasonable cost.
- The Government of India launched “Jan Aushadhi Suvidha Oxo-Biodegradable Sanitary Napkin” at Rs 2.50 per pad on the eve of the World Environment Day
- Jan Aushadhi Suvidha comes with a special additive, which makes it biodegradable when it comes in contact with oxygen after being discarded.
- This is an important step in ensuring the health security for the section of Indian women who still use unhygienic aids during menstrual period due to non-affordability of sanitary pads available in the market.
- This will ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’ for the underprivileged women of the country. This step was taken by the Department of Pharmaceuticals.
- “Janaushadhi Sugam” app would have user-friendly options like- to locate nearby stores, direction guidance for the location through Google Map.
- The app will also enable to search Janaushadhi generic medicines, analyse product comparison of Generic vs Branded medicine in form of MRP & overall Savings, etc.
India pledges to restore 50 lakh hectares
- India will be hosting the 14th Conference of Parties (COP14) to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD).
- India is currently the President of UNCCD COP for the next 2 years
- The Convention entered into force in December 1996. It is one of the three Rio Conventions along with United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
- The main objective of the convention is to
- Combat desertification and mitigate the effects of drought in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification.
- Involving long-term integrated strategies that focus simultaneously, in affected areas, on improved productivity of the land.
- The rehabilitation, conservation and sustainable management of land and water resources, leading to improved living conditions, in particular at the community level.
- The UNCCD is particularly committed to a bottom-up approach, encouraging the participation of local people in combating desertification and land degradation.
Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018 Announced.
About the award
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awards are given every year
- The objective is to recognize the achievements of persons in the fields of adventure, to encourage young people to develop the spirit of endurance, risk-taking, cooperative teamwork and quick, ready and effective reflexes in challenging situations.
- This will also provide an incentive to the young people for getting exposed to the adventure activities.
|United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)||UNFCCC|
|List of Major Awards in the World||UPSC 2020|
Read previous ‘Best of PIB’ here.