TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. BIMSTEC 2. Naval Anti-Drone System (NADS) 3. Indian Navy’s Maiden Exercise with Algerian Navy 4. 'New Central Sector Scheme' for Industrial Development of Jammu and Kashmir
8th Meeting of Agricultural Experts of BIMSTEC Countries held.
- India hosted the 8th Meeting of Agriculture Experts of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries virtually.
- The Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research & Education & the Director General, ICAR chaired the meeting.
- In the meeting, it was exhorted to enhance the engagement and deepen the cooperation in agriculture and allied sectors amongst the BIMSTEC Member States by encouraging the exchange of knowledge, germplasm, students and experts.
Know more about BIMSTEC in the linked article.
First indigenously developed anti-drone system, NADS to be inducted by the Indian Navy.
- The Indian Navy has signed a contract with Navaratna Defence PSU Bharat Limited (BEL) for the supply of the first indigenous comprehensive Naval Anti Drone System (NADS) with both hard kill and soft kill capabilities.
- It is the first indigenously developed anti-drone system to be inducted into the Indian Armed Forces.
- It was developed by DRDO and manufactured by BEL.
- The NADS can instantly detect and jam micro drones and use a laser-based kill mechanism to terminate targets. It will be an effective all-encompassing counter to the increased drone threat to strategic naval installations.
- The system offers 360 degree coverage.
- The NADS uses the help of Radar, Electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) sensors and Radio Frequency (RF) detectors to detect and jam the micro drones.
- The DRDO’s RF/Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) detects the frequency which is being used by the controller and the signals are then jammed.
What’s in the news?
INS Tabar took part in a Maritime Partnership Exercise with Algerian Navy ship ‘Ezzadjer’.
- INS Tabar took part in the exercise as a part of her ongoing goodwill visit to Europe and Africa.
- The exercise enabled the two navies to understand the concept of operations followed by each other, enhanced interoperability and opened the possibility of increasing interaction and collaboration between them in future.
Union Home Minister launched a web portal for registration of units under the ‘New Central Sector Scheme’ for Industrial Development of Jammu and Kashmir.
About the scheme:
- The scheme with a financial outlay of ₹28,400 crore is open for any eligible manufacturing entity or eligible service sector enterprise registered business enterprise under Goods and Service Tax (GST).
- It is expected that the UT of J&K will have an additional investment about ₹12,000 crore in establishment of about 1,200 industrial units.
- The entire process under the scheme i.e. applying for registration, submitting claims and their processing within the department, is through the portal deliberately done to avoid human interface.
- The scheme includes four types of incentives.
- These are capital investment incentive, capital interest subvention, GST-linked incentive and working capital interest subvention.
- The quantum of assistance under the scheme is greater than earlier ones as the ‘GST-linked incentive component’ provides for a maximum of three times of investment made in plant and machinery in addition to the other components of the scheme.
- The scheme is anticipated to generate direct employment opportunity for about 78,000 persons including in primary sectors such as agriculture, horticulture, sericulture, animal husbandry & dairy and inland fisheries through backward linkage including gainful engagement of women at household in craft, handicraft and handloom.
- Employment of about 35,000 persons already working in existing units is likely to be indirectly supported by the scheme through its working capital interest subvention component.
Read previous PIB here.
August 31st, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here
|Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana||New Development Bank (NDB)
|National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (NAPDDR)
|Index of Industrial Production