TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Network Readiness Index 2021 was released in December 2021.
India’s position on the index:
- India jumped 21 ranks, from 88 in 2020 to 67th position in 2021 in the NRI.
- India ranked 3rd among lower-middle-income countries and 12th among Asia & Pacific countries. The number of countries being evaluated is 130.
Who releases the NRI?
- Portulans Institute, Washington.
- The index was developed by the World Economic Forum in 2002.
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has constituted a 6G Technology Innovation Group (TIG).
About the TIG:
- The objective of the TIG is to co-create and participate in the development of the 6G technology ecosystem through increased participation in capability description, standards development at international standard-setting bodies.
- This would aid in preparing India’s manufacturing and services ecosystem to capitalise on the 6G opportunity.
- 6G TIG comprises members from the government, academia, industry associations and TSDSI (Telecom Standards Development Society of India).
Air pollution in parts of central-western India and north India increased during the pandemic in contrast to the general trend.
- Satellite observations show that parts of central-western India and north India showed an increase in pollution contrary to the general trend in that a reduction in economic activities had caused a decrease in air pollution in most parts of India.
- Scientists at the Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) utilized the EUMETSAT and NASA satellite observations for the years 2018, 2019, and 2020, and investigated the influence of significant cutoff of anthropogenic activities on the changes in the vertical and columnar distribution of ozone, CO, and NO2 during the lockdown period.
- The present study showed that ozone, carbon monoxide, and NO2 showed an increase of about 15% over the central-western part of India.
- According to the results, carbon monoxide showed a consistent increase (as high as 31%) of concentration at higher heights during the lockdown.
- According to the ARIES team, this study helped to identify the regions prone to higher air pollution exposure hence can identify areas at a greater health risk.
Also read: Air pollution in Delhi
Read previous PIB here.
December 27th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here
|Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI) 2020||Ethanol Blended Petrol Programme|
|National Education Policy (NEP 2020)||BrahMos Missile|
|PM MITRA Parks||DRDO|