TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. National Mithun Research Center 2. Madras Fertilizers Ltd (MFL) 3. International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illegal Trafficking
Syllabus: GS III, Environment; Biodiversity
Prelims: About Mithun and National Mithun Research Center
The Union Agriculture Minister visited the National Mithun Research Center.
National Mithun Research Center
- The National Research Centre on Mithun was set up in 1988 in Nagaland.
- National Mithun Research Center is an autonomous research centre that works under the aegis of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Aim: To provide impetus to the research work on Mithun
- ICAR-National Mithun Research Center has been playing key roles in the conservation, breeding and health management of this magnificent species.
- Mithun is a ruminant species belonging to the family Bovidae and is considered to be a domesticated form of wild gaur which is indigenous to the eastern Himalayas.
- It is also referred to as the ‘sacrificial ox’ of the North-Eastern Region of India as it plays a key role in the traditions and rituals of the tribal population of the region.
- Mithun is found mainly in north-eastern hill region of India and also in China, Myanmar, Bhutan and Bangladesh.
- Mithun is the state animal of Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh.
Read more about – Mithun
Syllabus: GS III, Economy; Agriculture
Prelims: About Madras Fertilizers Ltd (MFL)
The Union Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister visited Madras Fertilizers Ltd (MFL).
Madras Fertilizers Ltd (MFL)
- MFL was started in 1966 as a joint venture between the Government of India and AMOCO India incorporated of U.S.A (AMOCO) in accordance with the Fertilizer Formation Agreement with equity contributions of 51% and 49% respectively.
- MFL works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- MFL is involved in the manufacture of Ammonia, Urea, Complex Fertilizers and Biofertilizers.
- MFL’s functions include marketing fertilizers and trading in Agro Chemicals in accordance with the corporate objective.
- Objective: To become a leader in the fertilizer and process industry and in the production/marketing of agrochemicals and other eco-friendly products like Biofertilizers/neem pesticides through efficient operations, quality products, market orientation and dedicated manpower.
Syllabus: GS II, Health; Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
Prelims: About International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illegal Trafficking
The Department of Social Justice & Empowerment organised a “Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan Run” on the occasion of International Day against Drug Abuse.
International Day against Drug Abuse and Illegal Trafficking
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) decided to observe the 26th of June as the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking in 1987.
- It is observed annually since 1989
- Through this initiative, the UNGA expressed its determination to strengthen action and cooperation to achieve the goal of an international society free of drug abuse.
- Theme for 2022: Addressing drug challenges in health and humanitarian crises
- The focus of the United Nations Office On Drug And Crime (UNODC) is to spread awareness about it so that a world free of drug abuse can be created.
Know more about – International Day against Drug Abuse and Illegal Trafficking
Read previous PIB here.
June 26th, 2022, PIB:- Download PDF Here