Important international events and days are essential prelims facts to be studied for success in the UPSC civil services exam. In this article, you can read all about the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking for the IAS exam.
- The United Nations General Assembly first decided to observe the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking by a resolution moved on 7th December 1987.
- This day is marked to embolden action and cooperation to secure the goal of an international society free of drug abuse.
- The UN fights against the menace of drug abuse through various bodies.
- The UNODC or the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime leads the fight against illicit drugs, as well as international crime.
- The UNODC was formed in 1997 and has field offices all over the globe.
- The UN observes international days to raise public awareness about issues, get support from governments and international bodies, as well as engage individuals and communities in combating severe problems and concerns.
- A special session on drugs was held in the year 2016 by the General Assembly.
- The international day is marked to recognise the severe impact drug abuse and addiction is having on people’s lives, and also on societal peace, development and growth.
- Every year, almost 2 lakh people deal with illicit trafficking.
International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2019 Theme
The theme for 2019 for the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is:
“Health for Justice. Justice for Health”
- This theme emphasises the fact that health and justice are really two sides of the same coin, especially when it comes to tackling drug problems.