Read the daily PIB update and stay up-to-date on current affairs for the UPSC exam.
March 1st, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
TABLE OF CONTENTS
RaIDer-X, a new explosive detection device was unveiled at the National Workshop on Explosive Detection (NWED-2020) in Pune.
- RaIDer-X has the capability to detect explosives from a stand-off distance.
- The data library can be built in the system to expand its capability to detect a number of explosives in pure form as well as with contaminants.
- Bulk explosives in concealed conditions can also be detected by the device.
- RaIDer-X has been co-developed by High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), Pune and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- The two-day workshop has been organised by HEMRL Pune on its diamond jubilee celebration.
- HEMRL Pune is a premier laboratory of DRDO.
- The workshop provides a platform to scientists, technocrats and users to share knowledge, experience and updated information on the technological advancements made in the recent past.
- The workshop will help in the further development of explosive detection devices and remain updated on the recent development and advancements in the field of explosive detection.
The Finance Minister spoke at the inaugural session of the 44th Civil Accounts Day function.
- The Union Government initiated a major reform in Public Financial Management in 1976.
- The Audit and Accounts functions were separated by relieving the Comptroller and Auditor General of his responsibility of preparation of the Union Government accounts.
- The accounting function was brought directly under the control of the Executive. Consequently, the Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) was established.
- The ICAS was carved out from the Indian Audit & Accounts Service (IA & AS), initially through the promulgation of an ordinance amending the C & AG’s (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Amendment Act, 1976.
- Later on, the Departmentalization of Union Accounts (Transfer of Personnel) Act, 1976 was enacted by the Parliament.
- The Act was deemed to have come into force with effect from 1st March 1976. Accordingly, the ICAS celebrates March 1 every year as the “Civil Accounts Day”.
About the ICAS:
- The ICAS provides accounting and auditing services to the Government of India. It functions through the Indian Civil Accounts Organisation under the Ministry of Finance.
- It is a Group ‘A’ service through which people are recruited by the UPSC civil services exam.
- The service is headed by the Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
- Since its inception, the Indian Civil Accounts Organisation has steadily grown in stature and now plays an important role in strengthening of governance through excellence in the management of public finances of the Union Government.
- The mission of the organization is to administer an effective, credible and responsive system for budgeting, payment, accounting and pension disbursements. The aim has been to provide a world-class and robust Government-wide integrated financial information system.
- The organisation launched the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) in 2009 in order to leverage information technology (IT) for enhancing the efficiency of the payment, accounting, internal auditing and financial reporting systems of the Government of India.
- The Government has positioned the PFMS as a key decision support system not only for tracking of the flow of funds to the last beneficiary or implementation level but also to ensure just-in-time release of funds through an effective management of fund float.
- The Government is looking at PFMS for facilitating effective monitoring and control of unspent balances or parking of funds to check blockade of Government money.
- PFMS is now being used as the core IT platform for regular activities of CGA, such as payments, receipts, accounting, expenditure control, management of provident fund and pensions, etc.
- One of the biggest achievements of the PFMS is the implementation of the Central Sector Scheme, PM – KISAN Yojana.
New regional hub campus of the NSG inaugurated.
About the NSG:
The NSG is a Special Forces unit under the Ministry of Home Affairs. For more on NSG, check PIB dated 15th Oct, 2019 under the headline, ‘National Security Guard (NSG)’.
4. Ekam Fest
Week-long Ekam Fest is being conducted to promote craftsmanship & products of divyang (physically-challenged) artisans and entrepreneurs.
- The fest is organised by the National Handicapped Finance Development Corporation (NHFDC) under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- EKAM Fest is an effort for promoting entrepreneurship and knowledge among the physically-challenged community, generating awareness among society about the potentialities of this community and also providing a major marketing opportunity to physically-handicapped entrepreneurs.
- The Ekam Fest will also host a number of activities like cultural extravaganza including performances by Divyang artists and well-known professionals. Additional highlights of the event will be astrological consultations and foot massage by Divyang professionals.
- The fest, which is also an exhibition-cum-sale event, will see the display of products made by the disabled community across many categories like home décor, lifestyle, textiles, stationery products, packed food, organic products, toys and gifts, jewellery and accessories, etc.
- The event will also showcase the new initiatives taken by NHFDC such as:
- NHFDC Swavalamban Kendra (NSK): NHFDC has taken an initiative to establish PWD owned micro skill training centres throughout the country for skill training of PwDs. These NSKs will have the capacity to provide quality skill training to around 120 PwDs per year per NSK. The PwD owner of the NSK is expected to earn around Rs 20,000 per month.
- Safe Cabs in Delhi and Indore: Through an arrangement with a private taxi aggregator (that employs only women drivers and runs exclusively for women passengers) they provide opportunities for disabled commercial vehicle owners to offer their cars as cabs.
- Safe Drinking Water E Carts: NHFDC has agreed to finance E-carts fitted with RO water dispensing vending machines. These carts will sell water in paper glasses maintaining hygiene. The carts will be supported in operation by Bharat Jal. The PwD owner is expected to earn Rs 10,000/- to Rs 15,000/- per month in the operation of these carts.
- It is an apex corporation under the aegis of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- It started functioning in 1997 and is registered as a not-for-profit organisation.
- It provides financial assistance to Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) for their economic rehabilitation and provides a number of skill development programmes to empower them to grow & sustain their enterprises.
- It established the NHFDC Foundation which is engaged in brand development and providing a platform for the marketing of products of PwD entrepreneurs.
March 1st, 2020 PIB:- Download PDF Here
|UPSC 2020||How to apply for UPSC 2020?|
|Monthly Magazine for UPSC Current Affairs||UPSC Current Affairs Quiz|
|Government Exams||UPSC Prelims Exam|
Read more PIB articles here.