TABLE OF CONTENTS
Download the latest monthly updates at BYJU’S IAS & prepare for UPSC Mains 2021!
PM’s address in Abhidhamma Day at Mahaparinirvana Temple in Kushinagar, UP.
What is Abhidhamma Day?
- The day marks the end of a three-month rainy retreat – Varshavaas or Vassa – for the Buddhist monks and nuns during which time they stay at one place and pray.
- Abhidhamma Day is when Lord Buddha came back to earth from heaven according to widely held beliefs.
- He is believed to have gone to heaven to teach Abhidhamma Pitaka (a basket of ultimate things) to his mother.
- The teaching took three months after which Buddha came back to Earth. His followers too mark the three-month time by staying at one place and praying.
- The ancient city of Kushinagar is the final resting place of Gautama Buddha, where he attained Mahaparinirvana after his death. It is among the most important pilgrim spots for Buddhists since ancient times.
Know more about Buddhism in the linked article.
PM bows to Maharishi Valmiki on Valmiki Jayanti.
About Valmiki Jayanti:
- Valmiki Jayanti is observed on the birth anniversary of Maharishi Valmiki, the sage who wrote the Ramayana. The day is also observed as Pragat Diwas.
- According to the Hindu lunar calendar, Valmiki Jayanti is celebrated on the full moon day in the month of Ashwin.
- According to beliefs, Valmiki was a dacoit in his earlier years who transformed after a meeting with Narada.
- He decided to worship Lord Rama and sat in meditation for years. So intense was his meditation that an anthill (Valmika) was formed all over him, thus earning him the name ‘Valmiki’.
- Valmiki is also known as ‘Adi Kavi’ (First Poet) since he is the author of the Ramayana or the Adi Kavyam (the first epic poem).
‘Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP): Insurance Scheme for Health Care Workers Fighting COVID-19’ has been extended for a further period of 180 days.
- The scheme was launched in March 2020 to provide comprehensive personal accident cover of Rs. 50 Lakh to 22.12 lakh health care providers including community health workers and private health workers who may have been in direct contact and care of COVID-19 patients and may be at risk of being impacted by this.
- The scheme also included private hospital staff and volunteers/ad-hoc staff roped in by states/central hospitals/autonomous hospitals of central/states/UTs, AIIMS & Institute of National Importance (INI)/hospitals of Central Ministries for care of Covid-19 patients.
- Since the pandemic situation has still not abated, the government has decided to extend the scheme for 180 days more w.e.f. October 2021 when the current policy was originally supposed to end.
Read more on the PM Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) in the linked article.
Indigenous knowledge shared by Gujarat-based farmer can combat Mastitis, an ailment of dairy cattle.
- Utilising indigenous knowledge system shared by a farmer from Gujarat, a poly-herbal and cost-effective medicine has been developed to treat Mastitis.
- The medicine called Mastirak Gel, developed by National Innovation Foundation (NIF) has been commercialized through an industry partner.
What is mastitis?
- Mastitis is a common infectious disease, which affects farm productivity due to fall in milk quality, thus impacting income-generating activities.
- Bovine mastitis is a condition typified by the persistent and inflammatory reaction of the udder tissue due to either physical trauma or infections caused by microorganisms.
- It is a potentially fatal mammary gland infection, that is most common in dairy cattle worldwide.
- It is a disease that is known to cause the greatest loss to the dairy industry.
- Mastitis is caused by microorganisms ranging from virus, mycoplasma, fungus and bacteria. Physical injury to the mammary region, poor hygiene and/or trauma, also cause this condition.
Read previous PIB here.
October 20th, 2021, PIB:- Download PDF Here
|Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana||New Development Bank (NDB)
||Central Vigilance Commission
|Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI)
||Consumer Price Index (CPI)
|IAS General Studies Notes Links|
|Pm Ujjwala Yojana||Bharat Ratna Award|
|Ncrb Report||Genome Meaning|
|Regulating Act 1773||Icar Full Form|
|10 Sikh Gurus||Self Help Groups|
|States And Union Territories||Parliament Of India|