The Himachal Pradesh Administrative Services Exam (HPAS Exam) is conducted at the state level by the conducting body, Himachal Pradesh Public Services Commission. HPPSC reports to its parent department, the UPSC (Union Public Service Commission). HPPSC is entrusted with the task of various state-level examinations to recruit candidates for various departmental posts in accordance with Article 320 of the Constitution.
The HPPSC Notification 2023 was released on 18th May 2023. Candidates can check all the details in the notification attached below.
The purpose of the exam is to shortlist and select candidates for various posts of Himachal Pradesh Administrative Services. The HPPSC Administrative Services Combined Examination is for the recruitment of Class I officers. The exam is held for the recruitment of the posts of Block Development Officer (BDO), HPPSC Tehsildar, HP Policy Service, Treasury Officers etc.
|Preparing for the upcoming Competitive Exams?? Kickstart your preparation now with the links given below:|
HPPSC HPAS Notification 2023
HPAS Notification was announced on 18th May 2023. Keeping the past trend in mind, the tentative date of the exam is September 2023.
Stages of HPPSC Exam
There are 3 exam stages for the Himachal Pradesh Administrative Services exam, namely the
- HPAS Prelims(Preliminary Exam),
- HPAS Mains and the
The HPAS exam can be taken in two languages, Hindi and English. The exam is conducted once a year by the HPPSC in 10 cities across the state of Himachal Pradesh.
HPAS Online Application Form
Candidates can fill out the online application from 18th May 2023 to 14th June 2023 till 11 pm.
Candidates must be careful while filling out the online application form. The candidates must ensure their eligibility in respect of category, experience, age and essential qualification(s) etc., as
mentioned in the advertisement, by uploading copies of certificates of Essential Qualification, Matriculation Certificate as age proof, Category Certificate along with Bonafide certificate of H.P. and Experience Certificate (where required) to avoid rejection of their candidature after the closing date.
List of Documents to be uploaded on the OTRS portal by the candidate(s)
- Matriculation certificate for age proof
- Bachelor’s Degree Certificates along with Marks Sheets of all years/Consolidated Mark Sheet
- Valid Category certificate(s) in support of their eligibility, if any, viz., S.C., S.T ., O.B.C., E.W .S., Ex-Servicemen, Ward of Ex. Servicemen, WFF and Persons with disabilities etc.
- Bonafide Himachali Certificate in case of reserved category candidates.
- Valid EWS/BPL Certificate.
- Ex. Servicemen Discharge Certificate/Service Book
Application fee for HPAS
The application fee to apply for HPAS Exam are as follows:
|General Category||Rs. 400|
|Applicants of other states||Rs. 400|
|SC of HP/ ST of HP/ OBC of HP/ UR BPL of HP/ Ex-serviceman of HP (who are relieved from defence service on their own request)||Rs 100|
|Ex-Servicemen of H.P. (who are relieved from Defence Services after completion of normal tenure)/ Blind of H.P./ and Female candidates/Visually Impaired of H.P.||Fee Exemption|
- Incomplete Online Recruitment Applications (ORA) submitted without requisite examination fee/fictitious fee, scanned photograph & scanned signatures of prescribed size, will be rejected straightway.
- After scrutinizing the online recruitment applications category – wise / post-wise properly, the candidates fulfilling the prescribed eligibility criteria shall be admitted and the candidates not fulfilling the prescribed eligibility criteria shall be rejected provisionally with the approval of the Secretary.
Eligibility for HPAS Exam
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Indian citizenship
- Age Limit-21 to 35 years as of 1st January 2023
The upper age limit for SC, ST, OBC, People with Disabilities, Children and grandchildren of Freedom fighters of Himachal Pradesh are allowed a relaxation of 5 years.
Knowledge of customs, manners and dialects of Himachal Pradesh and suitability for appointment in the peculiar conditions prevailing in the Pradesh is a desirable qualification.
HPAS Vacancies & Salary
The HPAS vacancies & salary details are given below:
|Name of department||Name of post||No. of posts||Category Wise No. Of Posts||Pay scale|
Of HP =1,
Scheduled Tribe of HP =1,
OBC of HP =1,
Weaker Section of H.P. =1
|Pay Band Level – 18 (Rs. 56100 – 177500)|
|2||Scheduled Caste of HP =1, OBC Of
|Pay Band Level – 18 (Rs. 56100 – 177500)|
HPAS Preliminary Exam Pattern 2023
- The total Weightage of the Preliminary Exam is 400 marks. Its syllabus is based on the UPSC pattern, with some questions on Himachal Pradesh.
- The questions are of objective type or MCQ(Multiple Choice Questions) type.
- The main paper has two papers, namely:
Paper I: General Studies (Code No.01)
This paper shall be of 200 marks, and there shall be 100 multiple choice questions from the syllabus of History, geography, political, art & culture and socio-economic development of Himachal Pradesh. Current events of national and international importance. Indian and World History, Geography, Indian policy and governance, etc.
Check out our study material for IAS Preparation.
Paper II: Aptitude Test (Code No.02)
This paper shall be of 200 marks consisting of 100 multiple choice questions from Comprehension, Interpersonal skills including communication skills, Logical reasoning etc.
Note – Paper 2 is of a qualifying nature, which means that at least 33% marks are to be secured by a candidate in Paper 2 for Paper 1 to be checked.
2 marks for every correct answer, and there will be negative marking (1/3 of the marks allotted to that question will be deducted for every wrong answer).
Take our UPSC Current Affairs Quiz to check your preparation for the HPPSC Prelims Exam.
HPAS Main (Written) Exam Pattern 2023
Paper 1 (English) and Paper 2 (Hindi) are qualifying papers.
To attempt the rest of the paper, the candidate has to score a minimum of 40% marks in these two papers and 45% in aggregate, even though the marks obtained in these two papers will not be counted for the overall ranking.
The marks will be allocated based on Vocabulary, Grammar, orderliness etc.
Paper 3 is General Studies consisting of questions on current affairs, Modern Indian History, Indian culture and economy etc. It is of 150 marks.
Paper 4 is Essay- This paper is designed to test candidates’
- Knowledge/awareness of a variety of subjects and
- Their ability to compose a sustained piece of writing in the form of an essay. It is of 100 marks.
Choice of topics can range from
- Current affairs
- Socio-political issues
- Aspects of culture and history
- Reflective topics
- First Subject (Paper I & II)-300 marks
- Second Subject (Paper I & II)-300 marks
The candidate will be interviewed by the commission to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for the services or service for which he has applied to the commission.
Prelims marks will not be counted in Total marks. The Total Marks consists of only the HPPSC Main exam and Viva marks.
Personal Interview Round
Questions asked to the candidates may range from national and international current affairs and currently prevailing socio-political conditions in Himachal Pradesh. Knowledge of customs, manners and dialects of Himachal Pradesh, etc., along with strong communication and leadership skills is important.
For the best preparation strategy for competitive exams candidates can visit the linked article and get detailed study material and preparation tips to excel in the examination.
Other related links: