The GK Current Affairs on the Winners of US Open Tennis is important for various competitive exams.
Aspirants of Government exams like SSC, RRB, Bank, Insurance etc must read the topic US Open Winners with utmost care as General knowledge is a part of the syllabus and a separate section in most of these exams.
The article will provide the list of US Open Winners 2020 and previous years as well as the records made in US Open Tennis since its inception.
|Aspiring for a career in the government sector? Check the following links for preparation of government exams-|
US Open Winners 2021
The 2021 US Open Tennis Tournament will take place from 30th August to 7th September 2021. It will be played at Louis Armstrong Stadium in New York. The US Open Winners 2021 will be updated here post the matches.
US Open Winners 2020
The 2020 US Open Tennis Tournament was conducted from August 31st to September 13th 2020, without spectators due to COVID-19 Pandemic. The held on outdoor hard courts at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens, New York. The list of US Open winners 2020 are as mentioned below –
|US Open Winners List 2020|
|US Open 2020 Titles||US Open Winners||Runner-up|
|2020 Men’s Singles||Dominic Thiem||Alexander Zverev|
|2020 Women’s Singles||Naomi Osaka||Victoria Azarenka|
|2020 Men’s Doubles||Mate Pavić & Bruno Soares||Wesley Koolhof & Nikola Mektić|
|2020 Women’s Doubles||Laura Siegemund & Vera Zvonareva||Nicole Melichar & Xu Yifan|
List of US Open Winners 2019
The 2019 US Open was the 139th edition of tennis’ US Open. Candidates can go through the list of US Open Tennis Winners 2019 given below:
|Winners Of US Open Tennis 2019 Tournament|
|US Open Titles||US Open Winners||Runner-up|
|Men’s singles final||Rafael Nadal||Daniil Medvedev|
|Women’s singles final||Bianca Andreescu||Serena Williams|
|Men’s doubles final||Juan Sebastián Cabal
|Women’s doubles final||Elise Mertens
|Mixed doubles final||Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Candidates preparing for various competitive exams can go through the winners’ list of important sports events:
- Wimbledon Winners List
- French Open Winners List [Latest]
- Australian Open Winners List 2020
- FIFA World Cup Winners List
- ICC World Cup Winners List
- IPL Winners List
US Open Tennis Tournament
- The United States Open Tennis Championships formerly called the US National Championship was first played in 1881.
- It is the fourth and final tournament of the Grand Slam; preceded by the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon tennis tournament.
- The US Open Tennis starts from the last week of August and continues for two weeks.
- Apart from the five primary championships i.e. men’s and women’s singles, men’s and women’s doubles, and mixed doubles, the US Open also includes events for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.
- The US Open is owned and organized by the USTA – United States Tennis Association, a non-profit organization.
- The chairperson of the US Open Tennis tournament is Katrina Adams.
- It is played at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, Newyork, US. earlier known as the USTA National Tennis Center.
- The tournament of US Open Tennis has been played on the Acrylic hardcourts since 1978, earlier it was played on Grass Courts from 1881 to 1974 and then Clay courts from 1975 to 1977.
- Richard Sears won the men’s singles at the First US Open Tennis held in August 1881 at the Newport Casino in Newport, Rhode Island.
- The First US Open Women’s National Singles Championship was held in 1887 at the Philadelphia Cricket Club.
- The winner of the First Women’s Singles US Open tennis tournament was 17 year old Ellen Hansell, a philadelphian girl.
- The US Open Women’s National Doubles Championship was added in 1899 and the US Open Mixed Doubles Championship in 1892.
- In 1970, the US Open became the first Grand Slam tournament to use a tiebreaker.
- In 2018, the US Open Tennis was the first Grand Slam tournament that introduced the shot clock to keep a check on the time consumed by players between points.
- The 2019 US Open Prize Money was USD 57 million.
Records Of US Open Tennis
Jimmy Connors is the only player to have won US Open singles titles on three surfaces i.e. grass, clay, and hard. While, the only woman to win US Open singles titles on two surfaces i.e. clay and hard surface is Chris Evert.
Go through the table below highlighting the record made by the US Open Winners since its inception.
|US Open Tennis Record||Era/ US Open Winners/ Title counts/ Years Played|
|US Open Men’s Since 1881|
|Most men’s singles titles||Before 1968 – 7 titles each – Richard Sears – 1881–87, William Larned -1901–02, 1907–11 and Bill Tilden -1920–25, 1929|
|Open Era – 5 Titles each – Jimmy Connors – 1974, 1976, 1978, 1982–83, Pete Sampras – 1990, 1993, 1995–96, 2002 and Roger Federer 2004–08|
|Most consecutive men’s singles titles||Before 1968 – Richard Sears – 7 Titles – 1881–87|
|Open Era – Roger Federer – 5 titles – 2004–08|
|Most men’s doubles titles||Before 1968 – 6 titles each – Richard Sears – 1882–84, 1886–87 with James Dwight, 1885 with Joseph Clark; Holcombe Ward – 1899–1901 with Dwight F. Davis – 1904–06 with Beals Wright|
|Open Era -Mike Bryan – 6 titles – 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 with Bob Bryan
2018 with Jack Sock
|Most consecutive men’s doubles titles||Before 1968 – Richard Sears – 6 Titles – 1882–87|
|Open Era – 2 titles each – Todd Woodbridge – 1995–96 and Mark Woodforde – 1995–96|
|Men with most mixed doubles titles||All time – 4 titles each –
|Most titles (singles,m en’s doubles, mixed doubles) – Men||Before 1968 – Bill Tilden – 16 titles – 1913–29 (7 singles, 5 men’s doubles, 4 mixed doubles)|
|Open Era – Bob Bryan – 9 titles – 2003–14 (5 men’s doubles, 4 mixed doubles)|
|US Open Women’s since 1887|
|Most women’s singles titles||Before 1968 – Molla Mallory – 8 titles – 1915–18, 1920–22, 1926|
|Open Era – 6 titles each – Chris Evert – 1975–78, 1980, 1982 and Serena Williams – 1999, 2002, 2008, 2012–14|
|Most consecutive women’s singles titles||Before 1968 – 4 titles each – Molla Mallory 1915–18 and Helen Jacobs – 1932–35|
|Open Era – Chris Evert – 4 titles – 1975–78|
|Most women’s doubles titles||Before 1968 – Margaret Osborne duPont – 13 titles – 1941 with Sarah Palfrey Cooke, 1942–50, 1955–57 with Louise Brough|
|Open Era – Martina Navratilova – 9 titles -1977 with Betty Stöve, 1978, 1980 with Billie Jean King, 1983–84, 1986–87 with Pam Shriver, 1989 with Hana Mandlíková, 1990 with Gigi Fernández|
|Most consecutive women’s doubles titles||Before 1968 – Margaret Osborne duPont – 10 titles – 1941 with Sarah Palfrey Cooke, 1942–50 with Louise Brough|
|Open Era – 3 titles each – Virginia Ruano Pascual – 2002–04 and Paola Suárez 2002–04|
|Women with most mixed doubles titles||Before 1968 – Margaret Osborne duPont – 9 titles – 1943–46 with Bill Talbert, 1950 with Ken McGrego, 1956 with Ken Rosewall, 1958–60 with Neale Fraser|
|Open Era – 3 titles each –
|Most titles (singles, women’s doubles, mixed doubles) – Women||Before 1968 – Margaret Osborne duPont – 25 titles – 1941–60 (3 singles, 13 women’s doubles, 9 mixed doubles)|
|Open Era – Martina Navratilova – 16 titles – 1977–2006 (4 singles, 9 women’s doubles, 3 mixed doubles)|
Reference – Wikipedia [wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Open_(tennis)]
Candidates can also check important general awareness topics given below for competitive exams preparation:
|Countries and Their National Games||List Of Sports Terms||Nobel Prize Winners|
|List of Sports Cups and Trophies||Jnanpith Award Winners||Arjuna Award Winners|
Aspirants preparing for various competitive exams can go through the SSC General Awareness for their preparation, The topics covered in the given link are common for all the examinations.
Sample Question On US Open Championship
The relevance of the topic – US Open Tennis Winners can only be understood by getting familiar with the type of questions asked in various competitive exams based on it.
Hence, candidates can go through a few sample questions to understand the scope of questions they might encounter in the government exams.
Q.1. Who holds the title of First Winner of US Open Men’s Singles?
- William Glyn
- Clarence Clark
- Howard Taylor
- Richard Sears
Q.2. The first US Open tennis was played at USTA National Tennis Centre, now known as ___?
- United States National Lawn Tennis Centre.
- USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
- Germantown Cricket Club, Philadelphia
- West Side Tennis Club, Newyork, US
Q.3. Since 1978, the US Open tennis has been played on the Acrylic Hardcourts, on what type of surface it was played in 1975 to 1977?
- Grass courts
- Hard cut courts
- Clay Courts
- None of these
Q.4. The US Open Tennis was first held in ___ on grass courts at the Newport Casino in Newport, Rhode Island.
- August 1881
- July 1881
- August 1887
- July 1818
Q.5. The US Open 2019 Winner of Men’s Singles title Rafel Nadal beat ____ to win his 4th US Open title.
- Juan Martín del Potro
- Daniil Medvedev
- Kevin Anderson
- Andy Murray
The questions given-above are just for reference, candidates are advised to check the Previous Year Question Papers with solution PDF to get acquainted with the variety and scope of questions asked in the government exams related to the topic.
Candidates willing to appear for various competitive exams must have a clear idea of the entire syllabus for the various government exams and only then can they start their preparation systematically. So given below are a set of links they can refer to:
Aspirants of various government exams and especially candidates who are aspiring for a career in banking sectors can visit the Banking Awareness page for assistance in preparation.
Aspirants who are willing to apply for various Government exams are advised to start their preparation as early as possible and for any help or assistant, they can refer to BYJU’S to get the latest information, study material and tips for preparation.