Government departments and ministries are an essential part of the UPSC polity syllabus. It is important to know which ministry deals with what issues and concerns for the IAS exam as this can be asked in the prelims exam. It is also important to know these minor details because it helps in understanding how the government machinery works in India.
Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion Government of India
The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) was formed in 1995 under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. In 2000, the Industrial Development department was merged with it. The DIPP is responsible for formulating and implementing growth measures for the industrial sector in line with socio-economic objectives and national priorities. DIPP is basically mandated with the overall industrial policy formulation and execution, whereas the individual ministries take care of the specific industries’ production, distribution, development and planning aspects.
In 2000, the department was reconstituted with the merger of the Industrial Development department.
- Formulation and implementation of industrial policy and strategies for industrial development in conformity with the development needs and national objectives;
- Monitoring the industrial growth, in general, and performance of industries specifically assigned to it, in particular, including advice on all industrial and technical matters;
- Formulation of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Policy and promotion, approval and facilitation of FDI;
- Encouragement to foreign technology collaborations at enterprise level and formulating policy parameters for the same;
- Formulation of policies relating to Intellectual Property Rights in the fields of Patents, Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications of Goods and administration of regulations, rules made there under;
- Administration of Industries (Development & Regulation) Act, 1951
- Promoting industrial development of industrially backward areas and the North Eastern Region including International Co-operation for industrial partnerships and
- Promotion of productivity, quality and technical cooperation.
|Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR)|
|List of Indian Government Ministries, Departments & Other Agencies for UPSC Exam|